Community discussions

MikroTik App

ticentrs
just joined
Topic Author

domestic and global traffic

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:57 pm

I have more than 60 clients running on routeros and everything works great. Now I have to get more capacity to get more clients and it's a problem. Wholesale providers can give me 100Mbit domestic traffic for about 800USD/month + global traffic 100Mbit for about 5800USD/m. It's realy big difference between domestic and global traffic prices in Latvia and it's much too much for me. So question is about - is it possible to take domestic traffic from one provider and global - from another one (not that ''for wholesale''_much cheaper) and combine them with routeros to make one, stable connection? So if client will connect to some international server - he will go through one getway, if to domestic server - through another getway..? Sounds easy, but how to seperate these connections?
Thanks in advance!

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: domestic and global traffic

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm

The best way to do this is to run BGP with the domestic provider, and to have them send you routes for the prefixes they're selling you transit for. Then you have a default route pointing out to the global provider.
If you're unfamiliar with BGP this may require quite a bit of reading, and it would also depend on whether the domestic ISP is going to offer this as a service.

ticentrs
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks!
I'm not so big to jump in BGP - I'm just in TCP :)
..and I dont have so much potential clients around here to pay for it.
..but - maybe it is possible to take domestic connection (officialy and available in my city) ~ 100Mbit and one (not commercial) optical connection in another city (not available in my city) ~100Mbit both(dom&glob), to put there some kind a server and to make all trafic to go like this client>routeros>official dom.ISP.>server(another ISP)>Internet(domestic&global)..? :) Is it possible? Should be..

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks!
I'm not so big to jump in BGP - I'm just in TCP :)
..and I dont have so much potential clients around here to pay for it.
..but - maybe it is possible to take domestic connection (officialy and available in my city) ~ 100Mbit and one (not commercial) optical connection in another city (not available in my city) ~100Mbit both(dom&glob), to put there some kind a server and to make all trafic to go like this client>routeros>official dom.ISP.>server(another ISP)>Internet(domestic&global)..? :) Is it possible? Should be..
Ah - every ISP worth a cent will give you BGP and any mikrotik can handle this.

YOu need BGP to know at least what "domestic" contains. WHich will change all the time as IP addrsses move (thus BGP). You dont want to get into configuring hundreds of routes manually, or? And keping them updated.

Any "not full" feed has pretty much to have BGP, which just also happens to be the standard for routing this way.

Now, your idea running all through a 100mbit to another domestic place. Yes. Now, where do you get the idea that will be SO much cheaper than in your palce? If itis (rememb er, has to be cheaper more than the 100mbit link on both ends) then yes. if not, what is the rationale behind even considering it? Stuck in your city or stuck in anotehr city in your country does not make it interantional traffic.

ticentrs
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 pm

While there is only one big monopoly ''golddiger''ISP in my country, there is no possibilities for challenger's like me. It's cheaper to give flash drives some guys with bicycles and pay them for data transfering from one city to another.. :lol: I have to get very cheap and ''legal'' concection to live in the market. And BGP means, that I have to buy CISCO's from them, I have to pay some guy who will manage it.. It's future maybe.
Is it realy unpossible to mark and separate these domestic and global packets somehow..?

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:33 pm

While there is only one big monopoly ''golddiger''ISP in my country, there is no possibilities for challenger's like me. It's cheaper to give flash drives some guys with bicycles and pay them for data transfering from one city to another.. :lol: I have to get very cheap and ''legal'' concection to live in the market. And BGP means, that I have to buy CISCO's from them, I have to pay some guy who will manage it.. It's future maybe.
Is it realy unpossible to mark and separate these domestic and global packets somehow..?
Dude, yes,

but having a connection between 2 cities does not solve your international problem if they are in the same city.

Btw., why you have to buy Ciscos for routing? ;) Mikrotiks handle BGP excellently ;) Granted, you may need an AH or X2 (1100er model) for a full feed, but still. No need for a cisco.

wpeople

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:08 pm

if it's possible, i would recommend buy 100mbps of domestic and much less - like 20mbps - international feed. The best, if You can separate them by different routers, so You can take care of Your leechers who eat up international and limit their ratio on P2P traffic.