Community discussions

MikroTik App

wifi442
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OSPF and Static Routing Marks

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 pm

My network has been running smoothly for a while now using OSPF. On one part of my network I have a weak wireless link. I have adjusted the OSPF costs so it is only a backup. Easy.

Now I have a few cameras that stream back to a DVR at the office and I am using static routes with routing marks to route the cameras over the above weaker link (to save BW on the main links). Works great.

My question is I'd like to be able to take advantage of OSPF and if the weak link fails, have the cameras re route over to the regular high quality link like the rest of the OSPF setup. Is this possible?

Right now if the link dies the cameras stop recording because they are static routes. CheckGateway=ping is turned on for these routes but I was hoping for a better way like the way OSPF does it :)

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: OSPF and Static Routing Marks

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:44 pm

If there is no match for a routing mark other marks are eligible. Just make sure the routing mark route has a higher AD than the normal default OSPF routes (which it would be default). When it is withdrawn the default should kick in. Basically this should be working out of the box.
If that doesn't help please post the mangle rules and your routing table.

wifi442
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 am

If there is no match for a routing mark other marks are eligible. Just make sure the routing mark route has a higher AD than the normal default OSPF routes (which it would be default). When it is withdrawn the default should kick in. Basically this should be working out of the box.
If that doesn't help please post the mangle rules and your routing table.
Its working OK right now, the static routes with the routing marks have checkgateway=ping enabled. Once the link drops these static routes go away and the regular OSPF routes take over.

Its working but I'd rather these routes with the routing marks be able to be added dynamically via OSPF rather than statically if that's even possible. If that makes sense hopefully I worded it right

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 am

Oh, I see.

That is not possible. OSPF doesn't have the concept of routing marks.

Depending on where the cameras connect and what your network layout is you can make the "weak link" more preferrable by adjusting link costs, though.