MikroTik App

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OSPF Problem at a “previous router” internet link rebooted

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 am

Mikrotik_OSPF_Problem.jpg
I'm new to Mikrotik. We intend to start using RB because of the Lower Power Consumption and smaller dimension but we face an very unexpected problem very difficult require a human presence all the time.

This is our scenario:
http://www.egal.ro/Mikrotik_OSPF_Problem.jpg

Situation is simple:
- if Router 1 WAN Antenna is rebooted ... the whole network OSPF loose the routes to Router 2 Lan Side and Router 3 Lan1+Lan2 Side

Solution:
- and the only solution I found as far is to Connect on Router 2 and 3 and Reboot.

Investigation:
- Strange thing: I notice that Mikrotik "do not know" the idea of "Interface Down". Normally after an interface is down, after is up again, the whole services depending on it should begin working again .. and this will resynchronization OSPF but ... I have a feeling that at least RB 750 and 450 do not have the idea of DOWN .. so .. OSPF not resynchronize.

Real life:
- it is super frustrating this behavior since require manual intervention. We have 39 POP (point of presence) while we intend to change the existing routers with RouterBoards but ... if we have headache with 3 RB .. what will happened when we will have 39 doing same thing ???

Urgent:
- I need an urgent help on this matter.

Supplementary info:
- On PtP links there is "other brand ap" not doing any kind of firewall. with previous routers having perfectly identical the same settings everything works well. so it is definitely something related to OSPF in a way or another on RB 450 and RB 750.
- On the RB I expect to use the following services: routing real IP all over, OSPF, Transparent Web proxy, end.

In the end:
- I'm extremely wide open to any suggestion.

Yours sincerely,

Bogdan Florin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

florinbro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: OSPF Problem at a “previous router” internet link reboot

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 am

I read another "such kind of problem" presented in a similar topic ... and problem solved.
look what I’ve done:
1. I create a bridge called "bridgeOSPF" (per example), nothing add at "ports"
2. I add an IP for this "interface", with the mask: 255.255.255.255
3. I add this IP to OSPF Networks and OSPF Interface
4. I specify the same IP .. at Router ID
5. for 20 seconds I lost all connection with all equipments behind the router
6. after 20 seconds all IP are reachable

I reboot every machine and AP, separately and the OSPF resync in 20-30 seconds, 24 hours gone, and still working smooth. Looks like to be a solution.

I was in need to have this working since I plan to change the present 36 routers with RB and have to see it working entirely.

I also use Web Proxy service and Firewall Redirection of ports and is working very nice. In fact after using web proxy the speedtest.net shows 30 % higher bandwidth than manually setup proxy on end user computer.

So, quite happy with this "overall solution"

Bogdan