Community discussions

MikroTik App

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mesh WDS headaches.... HWMPplus mixed wired wireless help

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

I have been setting test mesh using three RB1200 (router 1,2,3) and four SXT (1a,1b,2a,3a).

There is no roaming clients and all the SXT's are peered by RB1200 that are portals.

First I set up the three RB1200 in mesh on port 9-10 and chained them in a circle. That worked!

I ran a BW test between 1 and 3 full duplex from RB to RB was about 300mb, and that pegged the CPU, pulled the cable between them, (port 9 on both) there was a slight dip in bandwidth (to around 200mb during the whatever the refresh period was) and the traffic was going through ether10 over to router 2 through its ether9 to router1. I plugged back in the cable and about a minute later traffic was going back through ether 9, I pulled ether10 it still worked with no decrease in bandwidth.

Next added the wireless links to the mesh.
SXT 1a - router 1 ether1
SXT 1b - router 1 ether2
SXT 2a - router 2 ether1
SXT 3a - router 3 ether1

I configured SXT 1a and 1b as
Create mesh1
add ports ether1 and wlan1
enable wireless
wireless mode bridge
wds mode static mesh
wds default bridge: mesh1
add wds interface with master wlan1

SXT 2a and 3a are configured the same but with wireless mode station.

When I do, the communication across wireless fails and pretty much communication to the SXT fails, I cannot ping them from the other routers or even mac ping, but routers pop in and out of the neighbor list and the Mesh list. In that list they usually show up as larval.

I have tried many modifications, like adding a bridge1, putting the ether and wlan ports in the the bridge, designating it as the wds default bridge and adding that bridge into the mesh.

I tried dynamic wds also. One thing I noticed at least with the static WDS, the AP side does not show the WDS interface as registered,

I could really use some ideas.

richedav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mesh WDS headaches.... HWMPplus mixed wired wireless hel

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Ive not got my notes to hand from testing i did a few weeks back, but i think i ended up bridging eth 1 / wlan 1 and then adding the bridge to the hwmp mesh as opposed to adding the ports directly.

Then make sure the WDS is set to dynamic mesh, and the wds bridge is the HWMP you created

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 pm

please contact the support@mikrotik.com and include the support output files of the devices where you can't communicate together.
Also make a diagram of your setup so we could better understand and provide you with a solution.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 am

I already tried adding eth0 and wlan1 to bridge, then adding bridge to mesh, this lost all communication. I guess I will draw up a diagram in the dude.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 am

Here are a couple diagrams.
The first image is how I have the network setup right now, router 3 with a portal to the world on router 1/ether4.

The real system will look more like the second image with no ether to all sites
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.