Community discussions

MikroTik App

term0r
just joined
Topic Author

Problems with IPv6, OSPF-v3 and PPPoE

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone is doing the same as me, and hence can confirm that they also see this same behaviour.

I've set-up a lab to test a new product that we're launching this year. The Mikrotik components of this lab consist of two Mikrotik PPPoE servers, which in turn talk OSPF to each other, plus also talk OSPF to a Mikrotik border router. In the IPv4 world, the OSPF border router advertises a default to the PPPoE servers, and the PPPoE servers in turn advertise each of their respective PPPoE customer /32's back to the BR. This means customers can end up on any/either PPPoE server and still be reachable to the world, it means the time taken for them to move from one PPPoE server to another is small, and it avoids the use of proxy arp. Everything IPv4 wise works perfectly.

Next, I've attempted to replicate this using IPv6. IPv6 is not required on day one, but will be required at some stage, preferably this year. To assign a /56 to each customer we're using the RADIUS attribute of Framed-IPv6-Prefix. This is because at the moment there seems to be a bug in using the Mikrotik-Delegated-IPv6-Pool RADIUS attribute with 5.11 as per another forum post. This may potentially be fixed in 5.12 but I expect this other issue will prevail.

OSPFv3 is run between the BR and the two PPPoE Mikrotik routers. OSPFv3 works fine, and the BR happy advertises its default route of ::/0 to the PPPoE servers. However, this is where difficulties begin. On the PPPoE server, we can happily see the IPv6 route for the customer:

2 ADS XXXX:1800:700:100::/56 <pppoe-ufbtest1-traffic> 1

The interesting part here, is this is listed as a static route, rather than a Dynamic route. This route is definitely being set-up Dynamically by the PPPoE server.

I can not seem to get this route to be sent using OSPF-v3. I've tried both redistribute-connected=as-type-1 and redistribute-static=as-type-1 in my ospf-v3 instance settings, but OSPF never seems to attempt to send the /56 route out. I've looked at both the ospf-v3 lsa print det information, plus have logged all ospf information. From the best I can tell, the PPPoE server with the /56 route connected to it, never attempts to advertise this to any other routers in my OSPF area.

This will prevent us using IPv6 on this new product for now as there is no way to use statics to achieve this as we'll have no way to control what PPPoE server a customer ends up on. It is possible that the newer method using the RADIUS attribute of Mikrotik-Delegated-IPv6-Pool may work with 5.12, but I'm guessing that the /56 that the customer is assigned will also not be injected in to our OSPFv3.

Are Mikrotik aware of this? Does anyone else have experience with this? Am I doing anything wrong?

Note, our weekend in New Zealand starts in about 6 hours and I won't have access to this lab from home.

Cheers
Dave

term0r
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problems with IPv6, OSPF-v3 and PPPoE

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am

BTW, the forum post that talks about the issues with Mikrotik-Delegated-IPv6-Pool is viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57826 . I can replicate the issues in 5.11 but unfortunately don't have a copy of 5.12rc1 to test that the issues are resolved.

liteforce

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm the original poster of the thread you referenced.

http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/ ... .12rc1.npk

(the above assumes you are running PPC RouterOS - change for whatever arch you are using)

Obviously, this is pre-release MikroTik code so may be buggy in other areas; we are only running it on a test LNS so YMMV.

Regards,
Terry Froy
Spilsby Internet Solutions
http://www.spilsby.net/

cupis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

OSPFv3 is run between the BR and the two PPPoE Mikrotik routers. OSPFv3 works fine, and the BR happy advertises its default route of ::/0 to the PPPoE servers. However, this is where difficulties begin. On the PPPoE server, we can happily see the IPv6 route for the customer:

2 ADS XXXX:1800:700:100::/56 <pppoe-ufbtest1-traffic> 1

The interesting part here, is this is listed as a static route, rather than a Dynamic route. This route is definitely being set-up Dynamically by the PPPoE server.

I can not seem to get this route to be sent using OSPF-v3. I've tried both redistribute-connected=as-type-1 and redistribute-static=as-type-1 in my ospf-v3 instance settings, but OSPF never seems to attempt to send the /56 route out. I've looked at both the ospf-v3 lsa print det information, plus have logged all ospf information. From the best I can tell, the PPPoE server with the /56 route connected to it, never attempts to advertise this to any other routers in my OSPF area.
My suggestions:
  • static route is probably right - it is not being learnt via a dynamic routing prototol (such as OSPF, BGP etc)
  • BGP might be better suited than OSPF between the PPPoE servers and the border router - BGP scales better than OSPF, which as an IGP is better utilised to bootstrap BGP sessions rather than hold all of your customer routes
Regards,

term0r
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks for the replies so far.

BGP is an option, but I would prefer to use OSPFv3 if possible. Our existing IGP is already OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 so it makes sense to keep things like that with just an additional OSPF area (area5).

I will try and test out 5.12rc1 at some stage to see if it fixes the current bugs with the IPv6 DHCP PPPoE method.

Cheers
Dave