MikroTik App

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Routing/switching protocol advice needed

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi all,
We have large network spanning 100's of kilometers with many (all)Mikrotik highsites.
We need to have 2 'types' of gateways(breakout points); CAPPED and UNCAPPED. There are more than one of each type in different (towns) parts of the network. Eg. Town1 might have only CAPPED breakout lines, town 2 have UNCAPPED breakout and town 3 have both types of breakouts.
At the moment we determine which type of traffic a client is by it's SRC-IP from firewall/address list and route-mark it as 'uncapped traffic' which can be used in routing. In routing table, we have manually setup default routes for uncapped routing marks, next-hop to closest 'uncapped town' and the unmarked traffic goes next-hop to closest 'capped town'.

Needless to say, it is becoming a nighmare as the network grows and if a town is unreachable, we have to failover because of the two types we use, that make it a problem. We would like to automate the routing so that :
1)Based on packet or routing mark we, can auto-route to closest gateway/breakout of that type. (capped/uncapped)
2)Fail-over to find next-closest 'of a type' if the default closest breakout is unreachable. (+auto-restore!)
3)Fail-over to find closest gateway of OTHER type if no gateways of supposed type can be reached.(optional)

I can do it in principle with OSPF, but only for 1 'type' (to 'find' closest gateway), but do not know how to make it distribute different default routes for IP within the same range, i.e. not just entire subnets routed differently, but per src-ip.

I automate the updating of addresslists and have mangle/routing rules configured on many routers in the network to make it work (without failover) but would like a simpler, more automated approach. It would be perfect if all ingress routers (APs) could mark a packet once (from local addr-list) and all other routers in network can route based on that network-wide 'packet-mark' and do not have to each time check it's own address list/mangle before making routing decision.

Possible with OSPF/BGP/MPLS/(...?) or combination of these?

Thanks is advance, and I hope my question makes sense.

Ekkas

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Routing/switching protocol advice needed

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Let me rephrase...

Is it possible to make multiple 'copies' of e.g. OSPF running that update different routing tables?
E.g. to have all normal subnets distributed via OSPF in 'main' table.
To have another OSPF instance, on same network that ONLY distribute default routes, but the default routes distributed must be placed NOT in 'main' routing table, but my own table.

Then I can (in theory) have more than one 'set' of default routes on each router, each in it's own routing table with normal subnets in 'main' table as usual.

Thanks