Community discussions

MikroTik App

longshotkh
just joined
Topic Author

BGP problem (I think)

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Ok go easy, I am not a mikrotik pro and I got this project dropped on me. I am building a wireless backhaul network using Mikrotik routers and Dragonwave radio links. Out network starts at a Cisco 7206 router to a Powerrouter 2200 then to a dragonwave link to a powerrouter732 to a Maxxwave to another dragonwave link. we route with BGP. a quick and dirty look at it is

Cisco 7206 (XX.XX.XXX.186/30) to Powerrouter2200 (XX.XX.XXX.185/30) then from another port on the 2200 (XX.XX.XXX.161/29) to a dragonwave (XX.XX.XX.162/29) to a dragonwave (XX.XX.XXX.163/29) to a powerouter 732 (XX.XX.XXX.164/29) then another port on the 732 (XX.XX.XXX.237/30) to a Maxxwave (XX.XX.XXX.238/30) Now to this point our routing is golden it is going to the next interface on the Maxxwave that things break down (XX.XX.XXX.169/29) to dragonwave (XX.XX.XXX.171/29) at this point when I trace route from anywhere from the 2200 back I get a route loop between the .186 - .185 link. the 2200 is showing the route on the .168/29 network as a recursive from the 7206 when it should be a reachable network from interface 2 on the 2200. had my collegue (12 years experience and a ccnp) look at it and he is stymied as well. any thoughts? can't really use static routes as we are building a ring for redundancy.

thanks
LS

cupis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: BGP problem (I think)

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Have a look at the routing tables on the affected devices - I suspect that they do not have the routes installed that you think they should. Specifically look at whether .185 and .186 have the "correct" routes for the router you are testing from and for the destination you are testing to.

You say you are using BGP - are all your devices in the same AS, and do you have a full mesh between them? If not, are you using route-reflectors?

A diagram (no matter how "rough") would help if the above does not guide you to a solution, and might come in useful for yourself in the future when looking into issues.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am

to this kind of setup. Why use bgp, not ospf?

longshotkh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm

I am using route reflectors, and I know the routing table in the 2200 is wrong it is showing a recursive route from the 7206 when it should be reachable on ether2 here is some more info and a couple of pics. Because it is a dynamic BGP route I don't see how to get rid of it or make it regenerate it. I have completely reloaded the Routeros and reconfigured the 2200 and the same issue. it is all in one AS.

The reason we are using BGP (the explanation given to me) is that this is an ISP setup and the IP's need to be public and all routers need to have full internet routing when we are complete as we will have a full ring and two paths to the internet. now don't tell me how dumb this is because I am too ignorant to know better. I am just struggling to deliver the project I was assigned, however if you can give me an overwhelming argument for using OSPF I am all ears.

Thanks
LS
Last edited by longshotkh on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:01 pm

iBGP does not guarantee loopfree routing. You need to run other IGP inside your own AS.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:43 pm

i would still run ospf between all routers on a private segment. Then add a loopback ip, and run bgp and vrf with internet routing towards this. This will fix the "backup links". Run bgp with confederation and different AS to get the IP redundancy inside your own AS.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I am using route reflectors, and I know the routing table in the 2200 is wrong it is showing a recursive route from the 7206 when it should be reachable on ether2 here is some more info and a couple of pics. Because it is a dynamic BGP route I don't see how to get rid of it or make it regenerate it. I have completely reloaded the Routeros and reconfigured the 2200 and the same issue. it is all in one AS.

The reason we are using BGP (the explanation given to me) is that this is an ISP setup and the IP's need to be public and all routers need to have full internet routing when we are complete as we will have a full ring and two paths to the internet. now don't tell me how dumb this is because I am too ignorant to know better. I am just struggling to deliver the project I was assigned, however if you can give me an overwhelming argument for using OSPF I am all ears.

Thanks
LS
Here problem is, Bio200. It dos not know about the route to Stoney MAxx wave. try to figure out. Why. It seems like bio 7206 is default route, and Bio200 does not know about the segment at 7260. Thats why looping, couse routing table tells, i dont know this,i must go to default.

longshotkh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:27 pm

well lesson learned... don't post actual IP's here. trying a brute force on my router, thanks lol.

cybercoder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm

iBGP does not guarantee loopfree routing
Yes it is. In standard iBGP, split horizon rules will help to achieve this. but when you are using route reflectors in AS(s) there's difference.