Community discussions

MikroTik App

m0kct
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF3 over GRE

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 am

Hi,

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to be impossible to run OSPF3 over a GRE tunnel. The GRE interface shows up as "inactive" in /routing ospf-v3 interface print. My understanding is that this is because it doesn't have a MAC address so the OS doesn't generate a link-local address for it. I can't see a way around this (trying to add a link-local address manually fails), but I'm hoping that someone here will prove me wrong... I'm running RouterOS 5.14.

Otherwise, the GRE interface works, in that I can ping the remote end's IPv6 address.

I haven't properly tested this, but I think the same would happen with a GRE6 interface.

Thanks!

Alex

joshaven

Re: OSPF3 over GRE

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm

First, you may have better luck with a unicast connection... setup NBMA rather then broadcast. You'll need to change the network type to NBMA and setup the NBMA Neighbor address.

Secondarily, you could try creating an EoIP tunnel which will give you layer 2 access across the connection, in which case you wouln't need unicast.

m0kct
just joined
Topic Author

Re: OSPF3 over GRE

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 pm

The other end is JunOS, and it looks like there's no way to set the interface type to NBMA for OSPF3 (only for OSPF2) or to specify an NBMA neighbour:

# set interface gr-0/0/0.1 interface-type ?
Possible completions:
p2mp-over-lan Point-to-multipoint over LAN mode
p2p Point-to-point

It was a nice suggestion, though!

I also noticed that if I set the network type to NBMA on the MT side, the interface is still marked "inactive" (not really sure what to make of that, though).

Alex