blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Simple setup help - two upstream, bgp, only backup

Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello,

I need little help. I have to configure MTK with the following configuration:

Two upstream ISP connected with BGP. I have AS (ex. 1000), other two upstreams have AS (ex. 2000 and 3000)

I want first upstream to be primary, and in the case of problem, second upstream will took his place.

I will configure following:

/routing bgp instance set default as=1000
/routing bgp network add network=1.1.1.1/24
/routing bgp peer add name=first remote-address=2.2.2.2 remote-as=2000
/routing bgp peer add name=first remote-address=3.3.3.3 remote-as=3000

Of course, IP setting are working ok, remote BGP's are reachable...

What else I need to do to tell mikrotik to use first ISP by default, and second in the case of trouble.

Thanks...

cupis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Simple setup help - two upstream, bgp, only backup

Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 pm

BGP doesn't really work quite how you want it to, but to get a good approximation:

* you should have a filter on your BGP sessions limiting what prefixes you send to your suppliers (create filter under /routing/filter and then apply it to your BGP session as an "out-filter"
* you can set a lower local-preference on the session to your "backup" suppliers to tell your routers to "demote" any routes learnt from this supplier - this should mean that the routes from your primary provider will take precedence
* prepend your AS a couple of times to the "backup" provider - this will reduce the amount of traffic you get into your network from this provider (but not down to zero traffic)
* your backup provider may provide some communities you can tag your prefixes with to set a lower local-pref on /their/ network

Regards,