Community discussions

MikroTik App

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Routing customer's own IPs via BGP. Possible?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm running my own IPs via BGP in a Multi Home scenario. Now, one of my customers have got their own IP pool & would like to advertise. But, I don't know how to do that. How can I do that. Can it be achieved by installing another routeros on customer's network edge. If Yes, I need config references. Or if No, please suggest the possible way around.

Thank you,

Rahul..

blake

Re: Routing customer's own IPs via BGP. Possible?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Two ways. Both require you to have an autonomous system number (ASN).

1. Setup a BGP session with the customer and let them advertise their IP prefixes into your AS. Contact your upstream provider(s) and request they add this ASN & prefix to their filters for your connection. Explain to them that this ASN and prefix is for a downstream customer. They will likely require your customer send them a Letter of Authorization (LOA) authorizing you as the upstream ISP to provide transit for their ASN & prefix.

2. Announce the block to your upstream using your ASN. This still requires contacting your upstream to adjust their filters & obtaining the LOA, but you don't need to setup a BGP session with the customer. The customer may not want this option.

Hope this helps.