MikroTik App

rahulmkhj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP - Weird Advertisements?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm

hey folks,

I've noticed something that seems pretty weird to me, and thought of discussing it with you guys. Actually, I'm peering (BGP) with 2 upstream providers.

ISP1 - Remote Address - 1.2.3.4
ISP2 - Remote Address - 5.6.7.8

earlier, they were providing me only with default gateway(s) over BGP session. That I didn't find of any use, thus I asked them to share full internet table. And they shared some prefixes. Each of them both now have prefix count over 4,00,000.

The issue is all traffic goes through ISP1 only, and only a few kbps through ISP2. Something that seems weird to me is, when I look into /routing bgp advertisements . All of the entries here in show peer name: ISP2 and next hope: 1.2.3.4 (that actually is remote address of ISP1) and origin for all of them is either igp or incomplete.

When I look into /ip routes .. I find two entries for every IP subnet i.e. a.b.c.d/e reachable via ISP1 & second entry via ISP2. And all routes from ISP2 are blue (inactive I guess.) in color. while Distance is same - 20 on all routes via either ISP.

Any suggestions on it.

Thank you,

Rahul..

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: BGP - Weird Advertisements?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:48 am

have a look at the BGP path attributes - are the paths from ISP1 all shorter than the paths from ISP2?