Community discussions

MikroTik App

rudihnio
just joined
Topic Author

RIP problem to Alcatel Service-Router, limit <400 routes??

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I am the only one having this strange problem.
The configuration is like this, there is a MT750GL as CPE on customer site and redistributing via a transparent bridge over VDSL and ISAM to Alcatel SR-Platform as PE with a p2p IP into the VPRN.

I am redistributing the customer connected network and a MGT loopback IP via RIP to the Backbone. Now, at install or after a reboot of the Mikrotik, the customer IP is redistributed via RIP to the backbone, but after 5 minutes, that route disappears from the big routing table, holding more then 400 routes for that customer. The Loopback IP is still there and I can access the Mikrotik, but customer doesn't work anymore. I have similar configuration on Cisco-platforms that is working fine.
My only way around the problem right now is switching from RIP to BGP redistribution and everything is working fine, only the configuration on the Alcatel is more difficult to handle for redistribution to the customer VPRN.

While sniffing on the entering SAP on the Alcatel, it looks that the Mikrotik confirms the RIP messages from the Alcatel (metric 16) but doesn't announce anymore the customer IP after the first update, so the Alcatel looses the route after 5-6 minutes (RIP timeout 180sec)

Anyone seen that problem already?

Thanks for any replies....

rudihnio
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RIP problem to Alcatel Service-Router, limit <400 routes

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok, so no ideas on this one, perhaps it's a bug, that the RIP memory-block isn't big enough or similar... :?

I added a pseudo default-route into the network and I am filtering the RIP output from the Alcatel SR towards the Mikrotiks, so only a few routes are announced now including the new default-route and that's now my solution to the problem.

Rudi 8)

MikroTikIQ
Trainer
Trainer

Re: RIP problem to Alcatel Service-Router, limit <400 routes

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 am

Hi.. Dear

This should be RIP protocol limitation.. and usually RIP are not recommended for 400 entry in routing table...

You can easily switch to OSPF as it make routing table scale and capable to control such network..

Also you can have some routing filter to manage you routing table more advanced to remove some unwanted dynamic route entry.. to minimize you routing table..

Also OSPF give feature to divide you network in multi domain called (area) to have better broadcast (LSA) manager over Dynamic routing table.. like you can set some of you client router do not receive full routing update and redistribute it over network again only they can receive default route from whole routing advertisement or routing domain i.g. (0.0.0.0/0 gateway=x.y.z.1)

If you need more info how to implement OSPF dtwork im ready to provide more info and help...
Best regards

Ali Sami