Community discussions

MikroTik App

amonra
just joined
Topic Author

VPLS for big hotspot system

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Hello all.

We are working in a project to deploy a high number of aps with same open SSID to create a hotspot system (near 192 aps).

The problem is that i think that roaming does not work if I create a routed layer 3 network to conect all, and I was thinking create an MPLS backbone and VPLS to hotspot layer 2 network.

Do you think this is a good solution?

PD: Sorry for my very bad english.

skye1

Re: VPLS for big hotspot system

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 pm

I think it is a possible solution, not sure about good. Is roaming absolutely required? I ask because of the additional complexity and troubleshooting you will encounter once you commit to the mpls configuration.
I actually operate a very large contiguous mtk mpls network and this is mostly stable, however, you may find at any moment that clients are unable to forward traffic from one of your ap's when you review all configurations all will appear normal and operational but no ability to forward traffic. Logging will not help becuase there appears to be no problem. Sometimes a restart will solve the problem, sometimes not and suddenly later you may observe that all is good again.
This is not usually a large part of the network but a couple random areas. I do not use hotspot feature on this system.
I discovered that (somehow?) two of my BGP VPLS site ID's had become identical numbers?? This is curious because all of these configurations are tracked in spreadsheet and there were no documented duplications. The only change that had occured was an upgrade of ROS to 5.19?? Regardless the proper site ID's have been re-applied and all is stable since.***********