Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mula
just joined
Topic Author

Openflow Problem on RB450G

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi All,

Im new to the routerboard world so excuse me if i do some mistakes etc etc.. So i'm using Openflow package on the 450G but i am encountering some strange things regarding this package. So i set it up to oint towards my controller and the switch is detected. if i enable the master port communication is dropped. For some reason the master port 2 must be disabled in order to communicate with the controller. So the actual port which is hooked up to the controller must be disabled.

Another problem which i am facing is that the traffic statistics is not correctly sent to the controller. Actually sometimes it is sent other times the RB450G doesnt send any statistics. Does anyone here used the openflow package and any issues with floodlight controller ?

Thanks
Mula

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Openflow Problem on RB450G

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am

You should not configure interface as openflow port which is used to communicate with controller. Otherwise you will disable access to it.

Mula
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am

Hi ,

Ok thats a good point for the ethernet2-master port which is the uplink to the management. However enabling the other ports is not solving other issues. Like for example port statistics are not sent from the mikrotik , this can be verified using wireshark and sniff for OF packets. Apart from this the mikrotik still acts as a learning switch and printing the flows doesnt show anything.

Basically if the mikrotik is connected to floodlight controller and when pinging from Host A to Host B i get replies where infact it should drop the packets. It should forward the packets when the controller is disconnected.

Also another issue which is visible is that no hosts are shown in the controller.

MrYan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 am

Using a mix of 750s and 450s I see statistics on my Floodlight instance (using 6.0rc11). I'm not sure if they are correct, but they are certainly there. I also see hosts on my network and can send traffic between them.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Basically if the mikrotik is connected to floodlight controller and when pinging from Host A to Host B i get replies where infact it should drop the packets.
Why it should drop packets? Did you manually configured controller to drop them? If not then floodlight is learning to which ports hosts are connected and makes forward rules automatically.

Mula
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi ,

in floodlight which is the controller it has no rules so therefore no flows are defined thus it should drop the packets. This was also simulated installing openflow on a PC and make it as a switch ( 4 NIC's installed) the behaviour is that is should drop the packets if no flows are pushed and if the controller is disconnected then the standalone switch will act as a learning switch and start forwarding packets.

Also stating that it should forward the packets then on the Mikrotik one should see the flows which in fact it doesnt :/

Apart from this also no statistics are sent from the Mikrotik to the floodlight controller. If you want i can attach Wireshark capture. ( This can be done later today as currently i am at the office). Also no hosts can be seen in no instance..

Quoting MrYan statistics sometimes are shown however these are not correct as pinging the hosts should show much more traffic and TNX packets is always shown as 0's while the recieved are populated although seem not to be correct.
Last edited by Mula on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mula
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Using a mix of 750s and 450s I see statistics on my Floodlight instance (using 6.0rc11). I'm not sure if they are correct, but they are certainly there. I also see hosts on my network and can send traffic between them.

MrYan how were the ports configured and did you manually set the ports to L2 . ? i saw on a separate post that it might be the case that the ports should be set as L2 in all cases.

Also in floodlight using the normal built without any flows it should drop the packets because no flows are set. While when disconnecting the controller then you will be able to communicate with other hosts as the switch ( the OF switch will start acting as a learning switch ).

Mula
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi all,

i finally got home and managed to make it work :shock: !! all i did is reset all the config and reconfigured back from scratch :/ and it worked even though the logic when a controller is not connected doesnt seem to be similar to when installing an openflow on a pc. ( it should act as a learning switch when having a controller disconnected while in this case it drops the packets) however its not important at this stage..

Thanks for your help ineeded coz im using this for my thesis and really appreciate your help on this..

One last thing is dpctl command supported , honestly i couldnt find it in any documentation or through command line and it would be of great use if its included..

MrYan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 pm

If I disable the Forwarding module in Floodlight then no communication is possible. If the Forwarding module is enabled (the default with floodlightdefault.properties) then as mrz states the controller learns the topology and sets flows for the traffic automatically.

Mula
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi All,

I really apologize for I late reply, MrYan you are right on that i tried it and it worked fine.. using a different device ( a PC with just openflow installed) works a different way though. Can i ask another question if possible something i am facing honeslty i dont know perhaps you've encountered this , did it ever happened that new flows are not completely installed on the Mikrotik ? By two flows when im roaming from one device to another i have Host 1 connected to the mikrotik and AP1 and Ap2 connected to the mikrotik. I have a wireless device which connects to AP1 and i ping fine. However and SOMETIMES when i roam to AP2 i just find one flow for this new datapath not as supposed two. Stopping the ping and re-start it again solves the issue. I will have to check the flow which is being pushed from my controller just to make sure that two flows are being pushed , the strange thing is that this is quite random :/

Any thoughts about this ?
Thanks for your help!!

alaska05
just joined

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:43 am

I have problem with openflow to,
Hi, I am new in openflow, want to implement multicast video streaming on openflow (for campus project).
I was setting Mikrotik be a Switch(bridge) and connect to Controller (floodlight).

The problem is I Can't see multicast flow that passes through the openflow switch, so I can't modified flow.

The condition:
streaming traffic from server to client(through openflow) no problem, client can acces video streaming from server, but have no multicast flow.
Ping from server to client no problem, and I can see the ping flow

This is my topology
Note:
Red line= non openflow
SW1=RB951G(mikrotik v6.7)
Bridge:
Bridge openflow port
Port1, 2
Bridge internet port (non-openflow)
Port3, 4, 5, Wlan

SW2=RB750(mikrotik v6.7)
Bridge: