MikroTik App

w4rh0und
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Layer 2 transparent bridge question

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi

I have a more complicated setup i need some help with, we have to migrate an office with as less downtime as possible and i need some help configuring this:

I have used mikrotik routers for some time now, because every time i need a twisted solution i can use them over cisco or other brands.

The setup:

old office Lan ----------- mikrotik ------------juniper ssg20----------Internet -------- Juniper SSG20 ------ Mikrotik ----- new office lan

I am configuring a pptp between the 2 routers, but i need a layer 2 connection over it between the mikrotiks so i can have the same subnet on both locations during the movement.

The board does not want to get rid of those crappy SSG20, and those 2 routers are useless. I could maybe use at the new office only the mikrotik for the movement.

I have tried PPP tunnel bridging (BCP), Eoip, and VPLS followng this guide (don't know mpls):

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... using_MPLS

I get a dhcp address from my old office, i can do anything inside the local subnet, but i have problems going out on the internet and i am guessing it is because of the MTU. Small pages like google.com work, but pages like microsoft.com do not.

With ping -f -l 1430 i get a reply, but bigger mtu gets discarded using BCP

I also need port forwarding to reach the servers i move in the new offices.

Basically this is a transparent bridge across 2 networks. If someone could steer me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.

Also i would like to know which is better for this job: eoip/VPLS/BCP

Thank you

w4rh0und
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Layer 2 transparent bridge question

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 pm

No one can give me any ideas on this?

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm

The link that you listed is to a method for bridging two sites over a *wireless* link. In that case the max MTU on the wireless link is higher than the typical Ethernet MTU. If you are trying to bridge two networks using that method over ISP connections/public internet then some fragmentation is to be expected. If MTUs are not set correctly on some elements then you may end up with MTU issues and a classic sign of that is some web sites working while some don't. For example, google.com tends to keep working but yahoo.com & speedtest.net tend to give problems quickly when there are MTU problems.

w4rh0und
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:16 pm

I know it is for wireless that link, but applies to pptp link as well. I configured that tunnel over pptp since one of the mikrotiks is behind the juniper.

I tried BCP/Eoip all work inside the local network, but i need to be able to go on the internet using that tunnel from the new office. And that is my proble the MTU and i don't know to what value to change it.