Community discussions

MikroTik App

ffigueroa
just joined
Topic Author

Any combination of hardware/software ready for production?!

Wed May 15, 2013 3:07 am

Hi, I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I'm really a mikrotik fan, and have been for many years.

A customer wants to deploy mikrotik in his core and borders, and use smaller models for cpe, which I said it was a great idea. But I just to came back to the forum and find out about the ghost routes left by bgp and ospf, the ospfv3 problems and such.

My question is if any combination of hardware and routerOS version is stable enough and "bug free" enough to run eBGP with multihomed ISPs, full feed from two at least, ospf as the IGP and iBGP at the provider edges? The services provided to the customer clients will be mostly voice, so stability is very important and easily noticed by customers.

6rc14 seems to have a fix for FIB issue, but not confirmed by anyone yet at the thread, plus it's still a RC, are there any plans to backport this fix to the 5.x branch? any timeline on this?

Or should I just bite the bullet and tell him my recommendation was very wrong and he must rethink his budget to go used cisco or juniper?

(I'm not even complaining about the CCR, great thing but I know is not ready yet, I just need some 1100 and 1200, some 450g and rb2011 rb950 as cpe... nothing fancy, but this software issues killed me)

Thanks in advance for your time.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Any combination of hardware/software ready for productio

Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 pm

try 6.13. something is buggy again in 6.14.

ffigueroa
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 am

But the FIB issue wasn't fixed in rc13, right?

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 am

I don't know about a fib problem in 6.13, but it might be the problem in 6.14. I don't know what is the problem here. in pre 6.13 there was no way to make vfr working well.

I have a ccr36 having a full internet bgp, and a lot of 1100's and some 1200 with ibgp (confederation) and ospf. I don't have any issues in 6.13. (only thing I notice in my setup, is some smaller bug related to ntp)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 am

Hi, I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I'm really a mikrotik fan, and have been for many years.

A customer wants to deploy mikrotik in his core and borders, and use smaller models for cpe, which I said it was a great idea. But I just to came back to the forum and find out about the ghost routes left by bgp and ospf, the ospfv3 problems and such.

My question is if any combination of hardware and routerOS version is stable enough and "bug free" enough to run eBGP with multihomed ISPs, full feed from two at least, ospf as the IGP and iBGP at the provider edges? The services provided to the customer clients will be mostly voice, so stability is very important and easily noticed by customers.

6rc14 seems to have a fix for FIB issue, but not confirmed by anyone yet at the thread, plus it's still a RC, are there any plans to backport this fix to the 5.x branch? any timeline on this?

Or should I just bite the bullet and tell him my recommendation was very wrong and he must rethink his budget to go used cisco or juniper?

(I'm not even complaining about the CCR, great thing but I know is not ready yet, I just need some 1100 and 1200, some 450g and rb2011 rb950 as cpe... nothing fancy, but this software issues killed me)

Thanks in advance for your time.
You should not consider ROS6 for production yet. 5.24 runs stable.
RB1100AHx2 is fast enough for most jobs. RB2011 runs without problems. We use it where SFP is required. Where CPU is not fast enough we use hw-switch between sfp1 and ether1.

joshaven

Tue May 21, 2013 3:59 am

I am very happy with 5.20-5.25 for production use. We use many of each of the following in production: 493ah, 711, 2011, & 1100ahx2. We also have a hand full of 1200's but we find ports 9 & 10 to be problematic so I won't be buying any more of them.