Community discussions

MikroTik App

eles
just joined
Topic Author

Core network on BGP x edge router(s) with OSPF = ?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Hello,
I have a network of about 7-9 core routers (ROSv5.25, most RB, but some on x86), doing (i)BGP between them, and some (about 20) edge routers that can't announce by BGP, but do support OSPF; (there is also certain number of MT ROSv5.25 based routers configured for edge, announcing their routes to cores with (i)BGP which are not a problem).

Because at the moment, on the cores that have link to such edges, I have to set static routes of the subnets behind the edges, and only that is further propagated 'upstream'.

Every edge router has a CDU behind it, and only needs to let core(s) know about its own subnet(s) and its loopback IP. [The networks I need to announce, are routable and unique of course]

I do not want to run BGP and OSPF on the whole system in parallel, but rather, use OSPF to talk between an edge and one (or 2 where applicable) core router, to advertize what routes should the core(s) propagate further; Nit: some cores have links to more than 1 edge, on separate interfaces.

How can I efficiently do this, without risking the configuration on the cores to be too convoluted?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Core network on BGP x edge router(s) with OSPF = ?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:31 am

Redistribute OSPF into BGP and Vice Versa on the edge router would be the simplest way and is commonly done. Having said that, redistribution can get very messy if you're not familiar with it - always redistribute/advertise using filters for specific networks to avoid catastrophic network failures.

Avoid using redistribute static/connected unless you understand the implications for your network.

eles
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Core network on BGP x edge router(s) with OSPF = ?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Thing is the edges (not all, only those *not* MT based) cannot speak BGP at all, it's OSPF they can do;
I was thinking of something like, setting up each core area as a separate OSPF area for its edges only, or even separate area for each edge router;
Can you hint on how to set up the filtering of such setup? Preferably using Winbox ;)