Community discussions

MikroTik App

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Advertise with low or high distance /OSPF and iBGP/

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 am

Is it possible to advertise network with low/high cost (metric or distance) in case of iBGP and OSPF? I have 2 redundant PPPoE server routers and both routers advertise same network to the network. If primary fails, secondary will handle PPPoE sessions automatically. So on WAN side, I need to configure BGP both router to be transfer live traffics within short time. On LAN side, I configured VRRP for Layer2 PPPoE server redundancy.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Advertise with low or high distance /OSPF and iBGP/

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:53 pm

You can tune both OSPF and BGP for preferential routing.

OSPF uses COST and LSA types to determine the best route whereas BGP uses a best path algorithm along with attributes you can modify to select the best route.

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 pm

You can tune both OSPF and BGP for preferential routing.

OSPF uses COST and LSA types to determine the best route whereas BGP uses a best path algorithm along with attributes you can modify to select the best route.
Thanks for your reply. But iBGP advertiser can not change remote router cost calculation result. Only route receiver can change parameters. I know eBGP has possibility.

victornunes
just joined

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 pm

I have a network being advertised by OSPF for two interfaces.
I can handle the cost of the interface which is the output interface for traffic originating from that network, but as I do that the other router to send traffic for that network through the same interface that it came out?

Is there any attribute in ospf me to make the network announced to be preferred over the other?