Community discussions

MikroTik App

gilljr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

BGP Full Routes - CCR1036-12G-4S - CPU Question

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 pm

I just installed a CCR1036 on my network that I bought several months ago. I updated it to v6.4 today and then connected it to a new peer that I have turned up with bgp full routes. My question/concern is that the CPU load in general seems to be sitting at 2% with CPU 10 sitting at 100% load 95% of the time. This is with no real traffic running over the device.

My question is, is this normal? I have never taken full routes before and have never had issues with my other Mikrotik routers with the summary routes I have taken. Below is a screenshot.
ccr1036fullroutes.PNG
Gilbert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

onnoossendrijver

Re: BGP Full Routes - CCR1036-12G-4S - CPU Question

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 am

I don't have experience with the CCR, but this is probably due to the BGP process.
Full-table BGP is pretty heavy for most routers, even the large Juniper routers I work with.
There is no real harm in this, routing just continues. Only the routing updates can take some time for being installed in the routing table.

Of course it would be nice if Mikrotik can somehow make the BGP process multithreaded :)

gilljr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 am

I saw the video and the other thread about BGP full routes on the CCR. I was hoping that it had been made multithreaded. I noticed that there was also a firmware update (3.09) for the CCR that came with the 6.4 software that I did not see when I first posted. I applied it and rebooted. I am seeing the CPU still high on one CPU, but not sitting at 100% as much as I was seeing it earlier. Thanks for the quick reply.

Gilbert

Kreacher

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi gilljr,

I really think if MikroTik is going on with RouterOS for the Tilera Tile Gx version it will be
in the near future running more and more fast and/or stable. I really thing this is owed to the
circumstances with the new hardware type and the programming for this "Manycore CPU"
I think it is not the same as a real multicore cpu because the Tilera SoC is more in the direction
like man cpu´s that are meshed together and if the programmers or coders from MikroTik getting
more and more skills to program for this platform, it will be a really powerful device.

For sure even beginnings often comes with by side effects and not even the best one or plain good ones.
Alone the integrating of all the capabilities given by the Tilera hardware in my eyes will be not done in
some weeks, and s I think step-by-step we will see rising up this device to his ending stadium will take
longer times as we can estimate and MikroTik it self was thinking.

Thumbs up for seeing the next version like a stable ROS v. 7.x L6 on this device would be great in my eyes
For sure inside your situation now, it is a pain I can really imagine

raz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi Gilbert,

yep, its currently normal that BGP only use 1 Core.
Looks same like here.