MikroTik App

mauricioisp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

My second BGP peer

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi guys,
I currently have one BGP peer giving my the default route (+ stupid 100+ private IP prefixes...) and now I've my first peering connection (only certain national subnets) to a small local IXP (the fiber will arrive next week), and I would like to know what is in your opinion the best way to implement it? With OSPF I know I can use a higher distance, but I'm not so familiar with BGP yet.

Any suggestion is welcomed :)

Thanks,

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: My second BGP peer

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:48 am

BGP for external connections is most preferred - I would be surprised if the IX supports OSPF for you.

Once you establish a BGP connection, and allow the IX to give you all it's routes, your current BGP still giving you the default route, then because any prefix you get from the IX would be smaller than 0.0.0.0/0, it would take precedence. For the most part - given how most IX's run - it should also be a smaller AS Path giving those prefixes the preference automatically.

There should be little configuration to do in terms of preferences etc, as it's all kind of handled by BGP by default.

This is from my understanding and I am in no way an expert, but have experience with BGP peering and connections on a daily basis.