Community discussions

MikroTik App

keefe007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Downstream BGP Peer

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am

Right now I have two upstream BGP peers for internet transit and 5 other bgp peers for local peering with other carriers. Soon we are turning up our first downstream BGP customer and I need a bit of assistance. I've added them as a BGP peer and I've setup an inbound filter to accept their prefixes. I've also added their prefixes to the outbound filters on my two carriers and 5 local peers. Here are the questions I have:

1. Do i need to add the prefixes from the downstream customer to 'networks?'

2. What kind of outbound filter do i need for this downstream customer to be able to send full routes? By default will the MT send all routes in the table or just active routes or what?

Thanks!

Keefe

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Downstream BGP Peer

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:21 pm

1. No, You only place items in "Networks" that you wish to originate from that router.
2. You technically don't need to do any filtering on the outbound prefixes. IE. Allow your full table toward them. Like you said, You are already filtering their prefixes inbound. Which is good.

PS. Remember, Any firewall rules you have set will work on their traffic just like it does on yours. So if you do any filtering in the forward chain, Consider what that might do to their traffic.
PS2. You said you updated your filters with facing YOUR upstream carriers, But you may need to contact each one of them so they can update the filtering on their side for your prefixes.