Community discussions

MikroTik App

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Applying DSCP to VPLS tunnel

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm curious as to how I can set a DSCP tag on VPLS traffic.

The senario is

2011>Ubiquity PTMP to tower>Tower Router>Backhaul>Tower Router>Backhaul>Tower Router>Ubiquity PTMP to Customer> 2011

I understand that any changes to traffic must be set before it enters the MPLS cloud. But in a situation where the traffic is MPLS switched from 2011 to 2011. Marking the traffic and setting the DSCP on ether1 (Uplinks to the Ubiquiti Radios on each router). The traffic is already MPLS switched and can't be modified by mangle.

I could mark the traffic on the interface facing the customer. But that traffic is than VPLS forwarded. Would accomplish the same thing I'm trying to do?

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Applying DSCP to VPLS tunnel

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure if I understand your question exactly, but I think you're asking how to set (or carry) the DSCP from end to end over a VPLS tunnel?

If the DSCP is already set on the packet, then the DSCP will remain on the packet at the egress of the VPLS tunnel. You can use the DSCP to also set the MPLS EXP bits, which are used (AFAIK) for carrying packet priority information over the MPLS network. In turn, I believe NV2 will use MPLS EXP bits to schedule packets out the wireless interfaces, but this is only good if you're using MT + NV2 on your backhauls.

If this is what you want to do, then upon ingress to the VPLS tunnel you must set the packets priority value either using /ip firewall mangle or via /interface bridge filter (depending on whether you are bridging or routing). You can use these mangle/filter rules to set the priority to equal the DSCP value of the IP packet. The EXP bits of the MPLS header will be populated with the priority value that you have set. You will also want to set /mpls ldp use-explicit-null=yes to ensure you don't lose the EXP bits between the penultimate MPLS hop.

Maybe you can explain more about what you are looking to do if this isn't what you're after.

Rich

NickOlsen
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Close, We're trying to tag the VPLS traffic as it crosses our network (Airmax supposely honors these DSCP settings).

The senario is a Point to Point Metro-E link between the 2011's. The problem we're having is the Latency inside the VPLS tunnel is in some cases much higher than the non-VPLS encapulated traffic.

Now, Disabling my DSCP rules doesn't cause the non-VPLS traffic latnecy to go up. Which tells me that the non-vpls traffic isn't pinging better due to being DSCP prioritized.

Latency outside VPLS is a solid 6ms. Where Latency inside the tunnel is 6-600ms. With an average of 50-60ms

SwissWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Latency outside VPLS is a solid 6ms. Where Latency inside the tunnel is 6-600ms. With an average of 50-60ms
Hi,
I don't think your problem can be solved this way. What you are seeing is caused by AirMax and also happens when using EoIP, GRE, etc. Tunnels on these devices. It's discussed in the Ubnt Forum: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airOS-Soft ... d-p/225718

- Mat