MikroTik App

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Bridging causing extra traffic

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 am

Hi Forum,

I do not know a LOT about MikroTik bridging yet, and am reading up on more to learn, but I have the following problem:

On an RB1100AHx2 at the DC, I have a Bridge interface 'Office', a VLAN interface 'Internal' and an EoIP interface to a RB951-2n. The EoIP and VLAN interfaces are members of the Office bridge interface.

The RB951-2n receives DHCP over the EoIP and NAT's it's own clients to it, and uses RIPv2 to distribute some routes (this is a home->office permanent VPN style config, to allow traffic to certain items in the DC to appear as if i was in the office for management).

I notice throughout the day when at the office, and people are doing traffic on the VLAN interface, although nothing is requesting traffic at my home, there still seems to be a decent amount of traffic being sent to it, in proportion to how much traffic is actually being used. I imagine this is because the bridge interface kind of sends traffic all over the network looking for the right endpoint. Is there a better way to configure how this runs? My home internet connection doesn't have as much throughput as the office DC so I'd rather it not get choked up with junk data.

Hope this makes sense, and any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,
Joe

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bridging causing extra traffic

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Have a look at the traffic (using Torch) and see what it is. e.g. if you bridge at layer 2 you will probably see broadcast traffic (for instance ARP) from both ends on the link. A Layer 3 VPN would avoid such broadcast traffic.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Re: Bridging causing extra traffic

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:53 am

Hi Celtic,

True, I suppose EoIP is supposed to emulate the L2 connection. I may move it to PPTP and try run RIP over that. I don't want all my normal home traffic going via the DC so having a table of DC IP's to reach is perfect, but there is a good 70-80 of them and changing every week so don't want to be manually managing!

Thanks,
Joe