Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Maybe I did not explain it clearly?

faisali
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: BGP advantages in 2 autonomous systems

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:47 am

BGP is simply a way of exchanging routes, Autonomous System or AS determine if BGP is External BGP (between two different ASN) or Internal BGP (Between Same ASN)

Your question is a confusing, it is not clear what is it that you are wanting to achieve ?

My Question to you would be Why Do You Want To Use BGP ?

:)

Arpanet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:42 pm

BGP is simply a way of exchanging routes, Autonomous System or AS determine if BGP is External BGP (between two different ASN) or Internal BGP (Between Same ASN)

Your question is a confusing, it is not clear what is it that you are wanting to achieve ?

My Question to you would be Why Do You Want To Use BGP ?

:)
Ok. You're right. I didn't make myself clear.

I would know what are advantages bgp could bring if implemented into a general network.
In my scenario, I got 2 dsl connections (two border gateways) that provides internet access to some clients. So I would like to understand if BGP could help. e.g. in load balancing..

faisali
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:45 am

I would know what are advantages bgp could bring if implemented into a general network.
In my scenario, I got 2 dsl connections (two border gateways) that provides internet access to some clients. So I would like to understand if BGP could help. e.g. in load balancing..
[/quote]

Short answer is no, it would not help you ...
BGP with external providers works well when you have /24 or more network that you are advertising.
Chances are that with DSL service you just have a hand full of IP's
Additionally, External BGP needs support from the Upstream Service Provider's Network/Router, which does not happen with DSL Service Providers.

If you are wanting redundancy, and load balance, you are are better off using some other techniques..

One of the best write up was this was done at MUM presentation... There are many, but this is in my opinion on of the best ....

http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/tomas.pdf

Regards

Arpanet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Short answer is no, it would not help you ...
BGP with external providers works well when you have /24 or more network that you are advertising.
Chances are that with DSL service you just have a hand full of IP's
Additionally, External BGP needs support from the Upstream Service Provider's Network/Router, which does not happen with DSL Service Providers.

If you are wanting redundancy, and load balance, you are are better off using some other techniques..

One of the best write up was this was done at MUM presentation... There are many, but this is in my opinion on of the best ....

http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/tomas.pdf

Regards[/quote]

Yeah, I've already implemented PCC, but anyway you said what I wanted to know.
thank you so much faisali!