Community discussions

MikroTik App

Azendale
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Make OSPFv3 use Global IPv6 addresses instead of LinkLocal?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:03 am

Is there a way to make it so the router addresses used for the routes created by OSPFv3 is the global address of the router on that interface instead of the router's link local address?

Azendale
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Make OSPFv3 use Global IPv6 addresses instead of LinkLocal?  [SOLVED]

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm

To follow up on this --
I've since learned that your life will be simpler if you don't try to do what I asked.
Embrace using link-local addresses (with an interface identifier) as next hops. It makes for super simple configuration of network segments between routers. You mostly just have to decide if you want OSPFv3 to run on an interface, and then just turn it on -- no need to allocate address space to route between routers!

Something I've done with this setup is to create a bridge interface with no physical interface in it. That way, the interface is always up. Put one global address on there (/128 is fine) for being able to manage the router by. Then you will be able to use that address no matter how your router is connected to the rest of the network. I carved a /64 block out of our global space and then allocated the router management addresses out of that, using their first mac address as the tail end of the address. So I can look at any IPv6 enabled router in my network, turn it over and look for the mac address, and then, without caring how it's connected to the network through OSPF or what interface are plugged in or not go to winbox and connect to manage it. I like it wayyyy better than how it works in IPv4. I wish it was this slick in IPv4.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Make OSPFv3 use Global IPv6 addresses instead of LinkLocal?

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Yes, this is quite common in IPv4 space as well, called a Loopback address. For nice traceroutes, I actually set pref-source on all routes to the loopback address too so you dont have to name / PTR and catalog all the interface addresses.

Azendale
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Make OSPFv3 use Global IPv6 addresses instead of LinkLocal?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Yes, this is quite common in IPv4 space as well, called a Loopback address. For nice traceroutes, I actually set pref-source on all routes to the loopback address too so you dont have to name / PTR and catalog all the interface addresses.
I assume you don't know of any way to use some kind of auto configured addresses on the interfaces though in the world of IPv4, and you still have to manage and allocate address space for the real physical interfaces for routers to route by.