MikroTik App

Premier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF not changing to backup WAN

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a situation where I have 3 routers A, B and C.
Router A & C has a direct connection to the WWW
Router B is in the middle and currently routing out through router C. This is not the preferred path.
I would like to have router B routing out through A.
To do this I have went into OSPF/INTERFACES and added the interface facing router C with a much longer path cross.

After a few seconds I can see 0.0.0.0/0 --> Router A as its gateway under routes, but all the traffic continues to go out through C.

Is there anything else I should be doing here to manipulate this?

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: OSPF not changing to backup WAN

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Download traffic from existing connections may continue on the first path for a while. Did you give it enough time to see the change? Also check that you don't have any static default route set - that would take priority over any OSPF route.

Premier
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Download traffic from existing connections may continue on the first path for a while. Did you give it enough time to see the change? Also check that you don't have any static default route set - that would take priority over any OSPF route.
Thanks for the reply,
Actually when I looked at the debug log, I was getting packet discards. So I dropped the iBGP tunnel I had between my 2 BGP routers and that error went away. I had the tunnel on the LAN side of the BGP routers, perhaps it should be on the WAN side of them?

Anyway, with that done the traffic does not change over. I did not give it much time, a few seconds to a few minutes perhaps.
Maybe I should leave it for an hour or two?

I have one default route to route my old ISP's publics to my customers. This private route subnet however is not entered into the OSPF networks. Would that matter?

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 pm

It wouldn't take hours - but some traffic may continue beyond a few seconds.

Check routing table, routing rules or any VRF settings.