Community discussions

MikroTik App

fableson
just joined
Topic Author

x86 kvm woes

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:39 pm

I am attempting to execute a proof of concept.

My ideal footprint would be:

Modest 1U Intel based server with a single NIC, adequate RAM/DISK/etc.
Run RouterOS with KVM module
Run CentOS (or any minimal linux distro, but CentOS would be preferred) under KVM.

Before purchasing a server, I thought I would prototype this on an Intel Core 2 Duo based Dell Latitude E5500. Virtualization is enabled in BIOS.

All of my attempts at running KVM fail. Symptom: I can get the KVM to be in "running" status, however I cannot get to the console nor can I get to the VNC port. It goes from Stopped to Running in an instant, so I am not sure if it is really doing anything?

Additionally, I am able to munge the file name for kernel and initrd and get the same results, so I am not confident that they are actually being referenced. The only test that gives me any confidence that something is happening is that if I get the disk image name incorrect, it says it cannot find image, so that is something positive for testing results :)

I have my CentOS iso setup as the "cdrom".
I have also created various flavors of images for the "hda" disk image.

After numerous failed attempts here, I decided that I would attempt to "simply" run another version of RouterOS under KVM thinking that this would be a good baseline test. I create the new RouterOS image under KVM and attempt to start it. Says it is running, but again the console is blank. No keypresses are recognized except for going back to the kvm prompt.

Any guidance?

My attempts at following the manual:KVM are to no avail.

I am hoping someone can point out something obvious that I am overlooking!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: x86 kvm woes

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Why is CentOS on the "cdrom" image slot? Shouldn't it be the "hda" (as in, first HDD image) slot? Or are you talking about the installation ISO file?

Either way... I suggest you run tests on a separate GUI OS where you prepare your image, to the point where it can run start fine with the "-nographic" Qemu option (and you can console to it), and mount that final disk image in RouterOS.

fableson
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes, I was (perhaps naively!) using the CentOS install image on the "cdrom".

I also took a raspbian image and set that up as hda with the same results -- no console.

What is particularly troubling is the fact that RouterOS will not run under kvm. That is what is making me suspect the version (which is 6.33.3 btw) and/or my hardware.

Thanks for your help.

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:33 pm

IIRC, the console in RouterOS uses SSH, so you also need to have a working network card on the guest that has a valid IP address, either statically, or given out by RouterOS over DHCP.

mujian
just joined

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:40 pm

IIRC, the console in RouterOS uses SSH, so you also need to have a working network card on the guest that has a valid IP address, either statically, or given out by RouterOS over DHCP.
I also have this problem.
Starting from 6.33, kvm virtual openwrt does not work, the image is downloaded from the official website openwrt,
http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br ... xt4.img.gz
ROS Log in Tip :kvm,error kvm guest crashed,restarting
Back to the normal version 6.32.3

mujian
just joined

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:51 pm

I have the same problem.
Starting from 6.33, kvm virtual openwrt does not work, the image is downloaded from the official website openwrt,
http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br ... xt4.img.gz
ROS Log in Tip :kvm,error kvm guest crashed,restarting
Back to the normal version 6.32.3