Community discussions

MikroTik App

nigfinch
just joined
Topic Author

CHR + vmware ESXi + 10G Hotlava card + VT-d (passthrough) + HP GEN9 + BGP = Purple Screen of Death

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi All,

As mentioned in the topic we are running CHR + vmware ESXi + 10G Hotlava card + VT-d (passthrough) + HP GEN9 + BGP

We are running 2 x this setup. Both CHRs are public BGP routers providing full table peerings and transit,

Every 2 to 3 weeks or so ESXi crashes on one of the servers and we get a purple screen (see attached image),

Anyone running a similar setup have any ideas what may be causing this ?

CHR - ROS6.35.1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

040mvz
just joined

Re: CHR + vmware ESXi + 10G Hotlava card + VT-d (passthrough) + HP GEN9 + BGP = Purple Screen of Death

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:37 am

Dear Nigfinch,

How unfortunate to hear this, i've got no similar setup running like yours but I've seen lots of PSOD in the last few years we've switched from Lenovo/IBM to HP.

The error you are receiving is most likely coming from the BIOS and/or it's chipset. Have you updated all hardware components to the latest firmware? If so, and it still didn't work, try from the first firmware brought by the vendor and work your way up until you reach the newest. I know from experience that this isn't the most lovely job, but if you don't, HP would definitely ask you to.

Also have you bought these two G9's at once? Because i've seen quite some faulty g9's and most of the time they were bought at once and not separately. When they were bought at once, make sure to check if the serial numbers diffident alot from each other, this would confirm if they are from the same batch. And if so, if one could be faulty, the chance of the second one being also increases.

Hope I've could be of any help!

Kind regards