Community discussions

MikroTik App

fortechitsolutions
just joined
Topic Author

Query: Install RouterOS v4.4 as KVM Guest for testing ?

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 am

Hi, a simple question (I hope). I'm trying to install for testing, an instance of RouterOS 4.4 running on a KVM Virtualized host (running on ProxmoxVE virtualization platform). I can boot my installer ISO image fine, select features to install (such as "minimal") - and then press "i" to install. At this point .. nothing happens .. but the keyboard is no longer responsive; there is no CPU loading nor disk activity on the VM.

I'm curious if there is a known issue with running RouterOS within a KVM virtual environment / or if there are particular settings which must be adjusted in order to make this work ?

Thanks!

Tim Chipman
Fortech I.T. Solutions
http://FortechITSolutions.ca

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Query: Install RouterOS v4.4 as KVM Guest for testing ?

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:51 am

there are no problems i know of. RouterOS by itself is capable to host KVM guests and be guest of KVM.

using standard KVM on linux (Ubuntu) i could install routeros successfully

for specific KVM settings to run RouterOS guest you will have to see KVM manual.

fortechitsolutions
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick response; much appreciated. I've reviewed the section of the online manual for RouterOS on this (only page I can find relating to KVM is, http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/KVM ; I gather wiki-based user manual has usurped the prior non-wiki-based online user manual docs / for older versions of the OS? ) - which appears to deal mainly with creation of KVM guests on RouterOS; not the other way around (?). I wanted to also confirm, that there are no known special issues with config of RouterOS to run well as a KVM guest? (I searched the forums and found a few links that suggested there might be some issues; one implied that certain CPUtype had to be specified for the KVM Virtual machine; another suggested that VNC Console was not working well / but serial console was working.)

I've got a test instance of RouterOS running directly on VirtualBox now (it installs painlessly / as expected) - but I would prefer to run it on my KVM/ProxmoxVE system given the choice; hence my ongoing debug

Tim

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:48 pm

about VNC - what is the point to use graphical interface for command line interface? Well, just wondering what the difference is :)

about manual: well running RouterOS on KVM guest as quest OS, is done same way as Linux (we are using Linux kernel) ran in KVM - hence, that is KVM manual on http://www.linux-kvm.org where you have to look.

januszzz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 am

about VNC - what is the point to use graphical interface for command line interface? Well, just wondering what the difference is :)
there are many situation when you have no route to your virtual machine from your desk. Proxmox provides very robust vnc to every machine, with performance and stability comparable to best other virtualization systems (i.e. VMware vSphere). And this may be just more comfortable.

stacy
just joined

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 am

KVM virtualized host has been encountering some issues with RouterOS 4.4 off late . My friend too has been facing a similar problem. The ISO image and all are fine, But as soon as you try an install, the system becomes unresponsive. it is really disappointing but i think they are gonna definitely find a solution to this problem as soon as they can.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:45 am

first of, my suggestion is to use latest version. I am using KVM to virtualize RouterOS myself, so i am aware of problem, that if you run RouterOS guest set CPU that will suit better to your cpu as with default value guest can fail. in my case simple command to run KVM is - kvm -cpu core2duo ros.img

And as far as i know, KVM provides VNC feature itself and that is not feature of the guest. In addition to this you can attach tty as serial console to your guest so you can see what is happening there in case you have no VNC client.