Community discussions

MikroTik App

Eliminateur
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Windows guest or HW sharing for ROS

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:48 pm

It's been a while since the virtualization support on MT and i've been wondering if it's still not posssible to put a windows guest in there.

Or what way can i have to make the same box host windows+MT with minimum resources(a ESXi would need +2GB of ram just to install and HW direct access would be a bitch for a large HDD, xenserver isn't much better)

any ideas?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Windows guest or HW sharing for ROS

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 am

IMHO since RouterOS is less resource hungry than windows, i would go for Windows host with RouterOS running as a guest. In high pps situation RouterOS would use substantial amount of CPU, but nowadays, with 4+ CPU cores at our disposal, that would not be big problem.

Other possibility would be Linux host with KVM and windows and RouterOS running as quests.

drusha
just joined

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:27 am

Windows guest works tolerably well under MT's KVM

I don't like the idea if MT will be guest of windows system, which seems to be less stable than MT and it's definitely less important than 24/7 routing at full speed. At least for me. However sometime KVM guest takes more memory than allowed causing the usual MT behaviour such as refusing connection of winbox.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 am

how much RAM have you assigned to guest and how much it manages to grab? and is there any free memory on the host system left when guest takes more than allowed?

drusha
just joined

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:20 pm

It is 768 mb out of 1 gb of physical ram. my MT's average consumption is 60-70 mb. So it leaves about 160-170 mb of free memory when the guest is running. I've checked the memory right now - it shows only 55 mb free. Not a big deal if it's stable. (current system is MT + Windows XP SP3 on KVM)

Once with ubuntu guest during the install when ubuntu's partition manager was formatting the virtual drive, I've monitored the resources in winbox. Suddenly free memory dramatically lowered to 0 and then winbox has lost its connection. Reconnect gave an error "connection refused" but NAT was still working. After reboot install went smoothly.