Community discussions

MikroTik App

Onlycut
just joined
Topic Author

metarouter on rb750g

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 pm

hello routeros community, i have a question about metarouter on rb750g. Due to limmited ram on this board, i've made custom openwrt image from the last trunk. It boots ok, but after some uptime it starts to behave strange, eg:
root@OpenWrt:/# date
Segmentation fault
root@OpenWrt:/# opkg list
Bus error
there's only uhttpd installed, it works normally even this errors appears. Is it possible to fix this? after reboot it works fine, and in 1 or 2 hours bus error appears again. This vm has 8mb of ram.
Thanks in advice.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: metarouter on rb750g

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

have you tried this image somewhere else (other RouterBOARD)?

Onlycut
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:22 pm

have you tried this image somewhere else (other RouterBOARD)?
no, i'll try it later, on the similiar rb750g. btw, same thing with image from wiki.

Onlycut
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 pm

additional info.
upgraded to 4.8, and re-created metarouter with image from wiki.
> metarouter import-image file-name=openwrt-mr-mips-rootfs-wiki.mikrotik
.com.tgz memory-size=8 enabled=yes
then added interface to this image, using dynamic bridge. Consoled into image, but something gone wrong:
TCP westwood registered
NET: Registered protocol family 17
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
VFS: Mounted root (metafs filesystem) readonly on device 0:10.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k freed
Please be patient, while OpenWrt loads ...
- preinit -
Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
- regular preinit -
- init -

Please press Enter to activate this console. PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
NET: Registered protocol family 24
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (128 buckets, 512 max)

Please press Enter to activate this console. 

e.g console couldn't be activated. This time, cpu usage was 100%, during all creation and until image was destroyed. So, from my observations, every creation of vm is different from previous. after destroying this image, i've imported it one more time and it seems to be working for 10 minutes without problem.
one more thing, i have 2 bad blocks in /sys res, maybe this is the problem? anyway, i'll try on another rb.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:05 pm

no, bad blocks do not interfere with work of system on it. RouterOS very carefully checks when it is writing to storage and it is even marking sector as bad, if delays are out of set parameters. so, even if you have a lot of bad blocks, you can restore them using netinstall and reinstalling router.

About metarouter on 750G - it has just 32MB of RAM and when you create metarouter, system shells out 16MB of RAM, and is left with just 16MB itself, and that is very scarse and these crashes might be there just because host system runs out of RAM. Try some router with more RAM than 32MB. since we tested image before uploading it and it worked without problems, and it is still doing that.

Onlycut
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:13 pm

well, thanks for your reply. The reason of using this image is that RoS has no http server to hold some static html-pages. Unfortunately, i can't test this on other rb (not 750g) because there's no distributors of this harware in my country, 750s are all that i have. btw, i had some unusual troubles with 4.8, packet loss nearly 60% on every interface, with no metarouter, so i downgraded to 4.6 with netinstall, and now all seems to be ok. but bad blocks steel remains)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

you should not worry about bad blocks. it is not as with spinning HDDs, that 1 bad block meant, that disk is going to explode in 3.. 2...1.. It is normal for NAND to have bad blocks.

Onlycut
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 pm

:) ok. It seems like v5 has some fixes considering metarouter on 750s, i'll give it a try, and post feedback.

gcakici
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 pm

I've tried both 750 and 750G to use metarouter on them. RB750 has no chance to run a vm on it. It may be just for fun. For 750G it may be practical but your necessities must be very low. Only thing i can say you should install as low packages as you can and don't use winbox or ssh to manage the box. That means don't install security package and just use telnet while running your metarouter inside. Again, in my opinion it's not practical for production use with that much base memory.

Regards

Onlycut
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:32 pm

yes, you're totally right. But, there are some difficulties with my isp, which gives me 2 logins for pppoe session (1 internet and 1 some internal resources with higher speed), and, attention, provides only one access-concentrator. So, in the end i have two different ips with one destination. I considered to use owrt image, to hold second pppoe-session, and giving routes via rip. that works, but i don't know what to expect on higher load. Probably move to Xen, but i can't get openwrt working under Xen (xm_save fails, it seems to be a bug in owrt kernel, who knows). So i'll try your method too, thanks.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 03, 2010 4:30 am

So, in the end i have two different ips with one destination.
so, what's problem? if you can establish both connections from the RB - open new topic in 'General' forum with more details. it should be possible to do with one router

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 05, 2010 8:26 am

actually if you are very low, then you should avoid console (CLI that is) instead of winbox. On the router winbox uses least resources, just avoid opening new terminal in winbox. Also, telnet compared to ssh uses a bit less, but nothing substantially less to make notice. So if you are good with running telnet, you should be ok running ssh.