Community discussions

MikroTik App

cobianet
just joined
Topic Author

Vlans for a metarouter

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:53 pm

I am trying to setup this network layout:

Users connecting to ssid1 with wpa2ent, therefore we can trust them to be authenticated users. They should simply grab an ip address from the 192.168.40.0/24 network and be online.

Users connecting to ssid2 are connecting to a completely open network. I want those users to be routed through the openwrt metarouter and sent to our captive portal. The openwrt metarouter should also give out dhcp on the 192.168.75.0/24 network. Once they log in via the browser they are able to access the network by being natted through vif2 onto the 192.168.40.0/24 network.

All of this is happening via one ethernet cable connecting ether1 on the mikrotik box to the ethernet port of our AP. The ap puts all traffic coming from the ssid1 network onto the wire untagged, and traffic from the ssid2 network is tagged with vlan ID 10.

From here we are at ether1 in routeros.

I have 2 bridges setup, def_bridge and meta_bridge.

The def_bridge includes the ether1 port and the vif2 port from the metarouter. Traffic flows fine from interface to virtual interface on this bridge. The metarouter can ping out via vif2. Users connected to the ssid1 network are also able to get online without issue.

The meta_bridge includes a vlan interface which is a child of the ether1 port, this of course being vlan ID 10, and vif1 from the metarouter. I can see vlan ID 10 tagged traffic coming into the metarouter from users on ssid2, however no traffic will go back out through ether1 with vlan ID 10. I don't really know where the traffic goes at this point.

my configuration is as follows in routeros:

I'm aware I left out dhcp-server and other items that don't have anything to do with the problem. I did not want to dilute the explanation of topology.
/interface vlan
add interface=ether1 name=vlan10 vlan-id=10

/interface bridge
add name=def_bridge
/interface bridge port
add bridge=def_bridge interface=ether1

/interface bridge
add name=meta_bridge
/interface bridge port
add bridge=meta_bridge interface=vlan10

/ip address
add address=192.168.40.1/24 broadcast=192.168.40.255 comment="" disabled=no \
    interface=def_bridge network=192.168.40.0

/metarouter
add comment="" disabled=no disk-size=unlimited memory-size=32MiB name=mr2
/metarouter interface
add comment="" disabled=no dynamic-bridge=meta_bridge dynamic-mac-address=\
    02:43:D0:8E:3A:BB type=dynamic virtual-machine=mr2 vm-mac-address=\
    02:66:8F:FC:F9:BC
add comment="" disabled=no dynamic-bridge=def_bridge dynamic-mac-address=\
    02:11:9B:FF:98:AA type=dynamic virtual-machine=mr2 vm-mac-address=\
    02:BE:3D:6B:E9:D0
my openwrt metarouter configuration:

Once again, I realize I left out dhcp and other things that would dilute the problem.

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /etc/config/network 
# Copyright (C) 2006 OpenWrt.org

config interface loopback
	option ifname	lo
	option proto	static
	option ipaddr	127.0.0.1
	option netmask	255.0.0.0

config interface lan
	option ifname	eth0
	option type 	bridge
	option proto	static
	option ipaddr	192.168.75.1
	option netmask	255.255.255.0

config interface wan
	option ifname	eth1
	option type	bridge
	option proto	static
	option ipaddr	192.168.40.2/24
	option netmask	255.255.255.0
	option gateway	192.168.40.1
	option dns	192.168.40.1

As I said, def_bridge is working fine. From openwrt I can ping 192.168.40.1 without issue.

The problem arises with the ether1:vlan10/vif1 side. I cannot get vlan tagged traffic going correctly. Everyone's first question is going to be, are you sure that the access point is correctly tagging traffic. I am very sure that the ap is correctly tagging traffic, confirmed by ethereal and it working with other vlan equipment we use around here.

As a side note, the only other way of configuring this that I can think of would be to drop routeros' knowledge of the vlan completely. I.E. simply bridge vif1 and ether1 and get rid of ether1:vlan10, vif2, and meta_bridge completely. Then in the openwrt configuration I can create 2 interfaces, eth0 and eth0.10 which would should work, but I don't see any reason the current configuration shouldn't work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

cobianet
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Vlans for a metarouter

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:21 pm

I wanted to note the following:

Using either method of assigning vlans, be it with routeros as described above or using a single metarouter interface and handling the vlan assignments within the openwrt metarouter I am able to see vlan ID 10 tagged traffic on ether1 with torch. This traffic is only one way, coming from the access point (when I request dhcp with a laptop). I do not see any vlan tagged traffic in torch on ether1 coming from the metarouter.

I also do not see any vlan ID 10 tagged traffic within the metarouter using tcpdump. Only untagged traffic.

cobianet
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:07 am

The issue was with openwrt.

You cannot use a bridge that includes eth0 (untagged) and another bridge that includes eth0.X (VLAN ID X).

You can either use eth0 as a standard interface (no bridge) and then bridge as many eth0.X's as you want, or if you want to emulate bridging eth0 untagged traffic with something, you simply create an interface for eth0 (default is br-wan) then bridge br-wan.X (VLAN ID X) into any other bridge.

Everything's working now!

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:12 am

You can either use eth0 as a standard interface (no bridge) and then bridge as many eth0.X's as you want, or if you want to emulate bridging eth0 untagged traffic with something, you simply create an interface for eth0 (default is br-wan) then bridge br-wan.X (VLAN ID X) into any other bridge.

Everything's working now!
Isn't it exactly how it is done in ROS? :)

cobianet
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:30 am

Using 4.10 with openwrt and it is very unstable.

Does 5.xx fix this?

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:25 am

Try disabling ntp.