Community discussions

MikroTik App

mdaitc
Topic Author

storage of metarouters on MicroSD card

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi,

is it possible to store the metarouters on the MicroSD storage, instead of the internal storage? I figure to do this that i'd have to create store with an appropriate type - but all the type options i'm seeing is user-manager.

thanks,

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: storage of metarouters on MicroSD card

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 pm

no, metarouter does not have store support, meatrouter files are saved on disk system if you look at '/store print'

One of reasons is that RouterOS guest saves only guest specific files, system files are the same.

mdaitc
Topic Author

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:19 am

The reason i ask:

The OS i'm using in this case is OpenWRT (i've compiled the latest from source and have used the openwrt patches provided).

I was wanting to use an external storage (MicroSD) on a RB1100 to host the OpenWRT guests. It sounds to me like the OpenWRT metarouter would be better kept on the MicroSD to save the number of writes on the internal NAND memory - particularly if running a mailserver or caching proxy server.

It seems like i'd quickly use up the amount of writes to the internal storage.

If not possible at present, can it be made a feature request to store a guest metarouter (such as my OpenWRT ones) inside of a flat file - similar to VMWare products?

thanks,

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:18 pm

such a feature request already is pending for some time now.

mdaitc
Topic Author

Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:33 pm

so my next thought was that if i can't store just the metarouter on a seperate storage, how about the whole of the RouterOS?

i'm wanting to be able to boot the system from the microSD card on my RB1100 - is it possible to do so? from the userguide, it mentions that the hardware can boot from the microSD card, just not RouterOS.

reason being, i'm wanting to run metarouters which apparently can't reside anywhere other than NAND storage, and i'm worried about killing the NAND storage with writes (thinking of proxy and mail server). (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47682&start=0). I've already built the latest OpenWRT tree for the RB1100, complete with lots of packages...

i've tried doing the netinstall of the PPC packages onto the microSD card, but it seems that it doesn't support doing this.

any alternative solutions would be welcome!

mdaitc
Topic Author

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 pm

...bump...

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

there is a feature request already filed for some time to make guestOS store their files elsewhere, but it is not clear when and how exactly it will be implemented, if it will.