Community discussions

MikroTik App

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

metaRouter, physical interface

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:28 pm

i have running on an RB800 a virtual routerOS.

I want to have that virtual device handle the physical antenna that the clients connect to on this tower, basically i want to off load the clients from the physical board to the virtual one. i need to do this due to some complications from my radius server

i was wondering, is it as simple as just adding the antenna as an interface to the virtual device or am i missing something.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: metaRouter, physical interface

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:34 am

unfortunately wireless interface cannot be assigned to guest, that can be done with ethernet or virtual ethernet interface only. However you can look into Virtual-AP, or just pass all the traffic to guest and manage traffic from there (create hotspot/policies)

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 am

you say look into the virtual-AP, will that work because i have no problem leaving the main interface in a blocked state and running two V-Aps for the guest to use (one being for the pppoe clients and one for the hotspot)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:35 am

Virtual-AP is not part of metarouter. but that allows you to have other SSID and other configuration. So as the result you have one SSID with hotspot (like no security) aand the other one has security set up.

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 am

okay, in my head all that means yes i can do it. however, to be smart i'll need to test it somehow before applying it to the main tower. thanks for the help

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 am

sure you can. If compared to normal interface - you cannot change frequency and band, and protocol, that is set up on master interface. The rest of management is separate.