MikroTik App

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Vmware Vitual interfaces

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Hello,

i need to virtualize 14 routers on 1 HW. We are using RB1100 and 1200 but the power of this routerboards is miserable.

How can I make more than 2-4 interfaces on HW? Is VMWARE a stable solution?

Will be possible to make 2x giga nics on HW and map Vlan as interface to virtualized mikrotik? After that connect Vlan switch and each port will be physical interface on virtual MK?

Thank you

BE

Dave

glucz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Vmware Vitual interfaces

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Hello,

VmWare is a stable solution. I don't fully understand the rest of your question, but if you have multiple adapters in your server, you can set up a network bridge on each in VmWare Server or Esxi. Then connect the virtualized eth interfaces to one of the bridges. You can have as many virtualized eth interfaces in a VmWare guest as you want.

GL

kdavid
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello,

VmWare is a stable solution. I don't fully understand the rest of your question, but if you have multiple adapters in your server, you can set up a network bridge on each in VmWare Server or Esxi. Then connect the virtualized eth interfaces to one of the bridges. You can have as many virtualized eth interfaces in a VmWare guest as you want.

GL
Thank you, that want i heard. Thank you!

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:20 pm

or you could wait till RB1100AH and it's dual core sibling released.

Also, how much traffic you are passing through and with what config and load. It is possible that with simple optimization you could achieve good result with your current hardware.