Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ackster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OpenWRT saving settings

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 am

Playing with OPENWRT on RB750. I can get it to load and I can get into the console. I make changes to network and resolv.conf for my network settings. However, seems to be memory only. If I reboot the router or reboot the metarouter then all my changes are gone. What am I missing? This doesn't seem very useful, if I can't make changes to the configuration.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: OpenWRT saving settings

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 am

Playing with OPENWRT on RB750. I can get it to load and I can get into the console. I make changes to network and resolv.conf for my network settings. However, seems to be memory only. If I reboot the router or reboot the metarouter then all my changes are gone. What am I missing? This doesn't seem very useful, if I can't make changes to the configuration.
Create a new file and see if it survives a reboot. If so, perhaps you are not saving your actual network changes. Are you just using ifconfig to make network changes? If so, that is temporary. Modify the network config files to make it permanent. If it is set to DHCP, that can change the resolv.conf back everytime making it appear that resolv.conf is not being saved.

Ackster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: OpenWRT saving settings

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, been figuring a bunch out over the past few days. Got the network stuff taken care of. Had to uninstall dnsmasq. But, still running into flaky issues. seem to get segmentation faults, sometimes it boots missing complete directories. Perl has been a real challenge. But, I'm working my way though it.

Is there a way OPKG will work? Right now, I'm just starting from scratch and rebuilding the image every time I need a new package.