Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ackster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Metarouter and openwrt

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

How stable is OpenWRT on the MetaRouter. Trying to setup a small OpenWrt image and it seems to be unstable. RB751. Building my own image. Few questions.

-Anyone using this in a production system?

-Sometime it boots and is missing full directories, if I halt and start it again it comes up.

-Does OPKG work with the RB751. I can change the opkg.conf file to directories mentioned here, but always get invalid architecture.

-Has anyone install perl and CPAN?

I've been hacking away at this for a few weeks for a project I'm working on, but it seems the MetaRouter/OpenWRT combo is a bit flakey.

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Metarouter and openwrt

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:16 am

See the long, tiresome thread in here about OpenWRT metarouter on RB450:THREAD

It is unstable. Reboots, lockups, etc. MT cannot narrow it down and it remains a mystery.

I have never had a problem getting the image built, installed and running, it just won't run for long and the host hangs/reboots. The 751 may be a little slim on memory, I was using the 450G.

opkg works fine, although you either have to build the packages or find a repository.

It really is a pity as it adds so many possibilities to this little box. I have resorted to adding a cheap Openwrt box on the network to do the things ROS doesn't.

Ackster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:41 am

WOW - since 2009. I guess there is just a small % of the users that see value in this part of the router. I'll keep plugging away and see what happens.

Thanks

Ackster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 am

FYI - May be on to something....

When I defined my image using make menuconfig, I selected target images and selected ext4 as my root file system image. I then built my image and dumped it to a RB750 for testing. The image I built has PHP on it also, so I wrote a small PHP script to exercise the system and ran it from the console. Every 10 minutes it will do a get from a small web page on my server, print the data to the screen and write it to a txt file. Been running for over 3.5 hours so far. Not a very long time, but has been more stable than any thing else I've been testing with. Going to let it run for a day or two to see what really happens.