Community discussions

MikroTik App

shavi
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless in virtualized OpenWRT

Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 am

Hello!

I'm using a RB433 device with openWRT as a virtualized guest system. I need to develop a C program that would be able to get received signal strength on the wireless interface. However, it seems that im not able to get the wireless working in the guest system. I understand that i can use a virtual interface but the guest system treats it like a regular ethernet one.

So my question is : does the virtualized guest system have access to the wireless device? And if so is there anything special that has to be done in order to get it working in openWRT (other than the usual wireless device/interface setup)?

I've searched the forums, read the wiki and even went through the posts in this section manually but i havent found a clear answer to this. If someone have experience with this any help would be appreciated. I can figure stuff on my own but if it just can't be done then such information could be a real timesaver :)

Thank you.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Wireless in virtualized OpenWRT

Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 am

this is what you need to make custom app runing inside guest to get all information you need about wireless state of the wireless interface within RouterOS

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/API

shavi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 am

Thank you for the answer janisk, i'll have a look at the API.

juvann
just joined

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 pm

I have an analogue problem. I need to put wireless card in monitor mode and access by software in openwrt. With API openwrt can't see a real wireless interface.
Suggestions?

Rivera
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 pm

it's not possible to bypass wireless interface to openwrt.

kathi
just joined

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am

You would not have an easy way of connecting POTS lines without some sort of gateway device. But you could easily purchase sip trunks from a vendor such as phonebooth.com (no hardware needed). If you must have POTS line integration, you can get a VOIP gateway such as this: http://www.voipsupply.com/audiocodes-mp-118-fxo . But they are expensive and troublesome to configure. Although 8-port digium FXO cards are also pretty expensive.