Community discussions

MikroTik App

coffeecoco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mac MINI + KVM + ROS

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 am

For all that are interested You can install eg, centos on a Mac Mini then run KVM
and install Routeros and WAM you have the smallest Virtual machine :)

I now have a portable LAB :) I dont have any plans to install on any remote site but :P

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mac MINI + KVM + ROS

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Yep, I have one installed on a Parallels VM.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Mac MINI + KVM + ROS

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 am

cbrown, I think the OP was talking about running RouterOS on the bare metal hardware, with no Mac OS X installed, and using the KVM hypervisor (built into x86 RouterOS Linux kernel) to run either other virtual instances of RouterOS or other (Linux) guests on top of RouterOS.

Does RouterOS support the ethernet chipset(s) on past and present Minis?

I could see wireless working and being controlled directly by RouterOS if you have a Mini with an Atheros chipset, or if you replace the wireless module (which, I believe, might be MiniPCI or MiniPCIe on many models) with one based on Atheros (I believe some Minis use Broadcom instead).

-- Nathan

EDIT: Actually, even I misread OP. He was talking about installing a Linux distro (CentOS) on the bare metal, then running KVM on top of that and running RouterOS as a KVM guest. I suppose that works too, and gives you a much broader set of supported hardware. I'd be very interested, though, in hearing from anybody that has installed RouterOS directly on a Mac Mini without another virtualization layer.