Community discussions

MikroTik App

RexY
just joined
Topic Author

failed to booting from harddisk after install ubuntu server

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 am

hello, I want to ask something, seems like I failed to install ubuntu server 11.04 on mikrotik 5.20. The installation process is completed, I failed to install the grub boot loader, but It can be continue to install without the grub loader. the problem is when I reboot the system, I can't boot to ubuntu. anybody has a clue? I getting stuck this time. :(
the facts is I found two cases. first, the screen is blank, and the second is the system stuck in grub rescue.

I install the ROS in my HDD. I was managed to established ubuntu server 10.10 on my DOM before, I just found this case when I use mikrotik in my HDD..

thanks for your attention.. :D

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: failed to booting from harddisk after install ubuntu ser

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 am

you have to have valid bootloader for the OS that you want to boot. RouterOS installs its MBR that does not support multiple OSes on same HDD< so you have to install GRUB and configure it correctly.

RexY
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 pm

thank you for the answer. I managed to get another harddisk, then I put the image file and the ubuntu server 11.04 iso in there. seems it success to install the grub loader. but I still get a blank screen after the booting, just like when I booting with ubuntu server 10.10.. :(
do you think that the problem is in my image file that I use for the virtual HDD? or is there any other?
for my image file, I use the UDF for the file system and MODE1/2048 for the data type..

this things make me frustrated.. the deadline is getting close.. :cry:

this is the last process before it stuck on blank screen..

RexY
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 am

it seems that ros 5.18 have bug when using kvm. I found the solution, now I using ros 6.0 rc10, I can build ubuntu server 13.04 with no problem.. :D

thx for the attention