Community discussions

MikroTik App

mdsh
just joined
Topic Author

Virtual Lab

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:58 am

Good day everyone. Let me start by apologizing if this has been asked before but I havent been able to find be it because of what im searching for or wording perhaps but if indeed it has please point me in that direction and ill gladly read the post.

I am currently setting up a test lab for some Server based testing as part of an exam im prepping for. I have a mikrotik router as my main physical router on the 192.168.1.0\24 range for my LAN. On on computer I have set up a virtual mikrotik router with the WAN port being 192.168.1.127 and the internal "virtual" Lan port set to the 192.168.88.0/24 range. All my virtual clients can connect to the virtual router as well as browse the internet etc. However I am not able to figure out how to browse from the physical computer 192.168.1.X to a web server on a virtual machine as an example.

Ive tried setting up a route that will take any items with the destination 192.168.88.X to be sent to the WAN 192.168.1.127 interface of the virtual router as well as doing the port forwarding on the virtual router

Hope I am missing something obvious and thank you in advance for any help.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Virtual Lab

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 am

check how you have set up your guest network interfaces - if you have set up as NAT, it will be a hard time to get external host to establish a connection to internal hosts. Better option would be to use either router or bridged network so that all your guests are on the same subnet or the traffic can be routed to your virtual hosts.

There is also an option to create a virtual interface on your main host and assign it to the same virtual interface all your current guests are assigned to and do all the networking through there (default route etc.)

Best advice i can give when dealing with virtual networks/interfaces is to create network map ignoring all the virtual stuff and treating it as separate boxes and then you will know exactly what has to be configured and what issues will have to be addressed. Like, where is NAT, where is bridge/swtich etc.

mdsh
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Virtual Lab

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Thank you very much. I will give this a go and hopefully get it running properly :)

Thank you very much once again