Community discussions

MikroTik App

mihels
just joined
Topic Author

experiences with RB250GS

Tue May 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Hello,

Can you share your experience with RB250GS switches? How long have they been working, how stable they were?

Has anyone tried perfomance testing of these switches? Can they really reach 1Gbps?

And question for Mikrotik developers - do you know when firmware with STP/RSTP could be available?

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: experiences with RB250GS

Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 pm

We have been using them since they came out. We have one at every desk. I have several at remote sites. I have several at home. They are stable. We keep them upgraded to the current SwOS.

I have not pushed them but I would expect them to switch 1Gbps since they are built on a switch chip and not passing traffic through the CPU.

Tom

rcmcronny
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 10, 2011 4:41 pm

i have 1 switch at home, which runs stable, no issues so far.

Have a look at http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49646
there are bugs and also feature requests.

STP is on the list, but will be a long term development process regarding mikrotik, so no firmware will be available quickly with stp, but perhaps mikrotik is surprising us :)

Ronny

log
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 10, 2011 5:24 pm

I have about 30-40, some of them are switching heavy traffic and everything is ok.
Few doesnt have ups (sadly no place for them) and they never hang on ( in my city voltage drops is normal thing).
IMO only one thing is annoying: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44971

Jeroen1000
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 pm

I agree they are stable (note I only own 1). Do take notice of some of the threads mentioned. There are some limitations.
I also believe that they are capable of wire speed. I can't test this myself due to limitations on my computers.

zervan

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:00 pm

I agree! We have about 200 computers or devices on LAN segment (not online on the same time) and if I need to display host table after longer running time, error is displayed, so I must restart switch, then table is not so full for some time and I can work with it.

Another problem: Restarting is not working for me, so I need to remove power supply not only in mentioned situation, but also after each software upgrade.

So there are some issues, but I think this switch is very fine and worth its price. I look forward for new features like STP or actual bandwidth statistics, maybe graphically displayed as well :) At least, I hope for other improvements in future.

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 am

They work great if you want basic switching.

Stay away if you want VLAN.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45721

This is a serious flaw that is apparently not fixable, and is used quite often in real world networks.

matthewh
just joined

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:05 am

Had mine going for about a year now. No problems at all.
Have tested throughput between two ports over an extended period and I'm getting the stated speeds.

Pity about the VLAN issue mentioned. But then they are only a 5 port budget switch so I wasn't expecting too much.
I'd like to see a 16 port version with fixed VLAN though.