Community discussions

MikroTik App

cabo81
just joined
Topic Author

Issue with bonding 802.3ad

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi guys

I have 2 CRS125 -24G-1S-RM and I'm trying to make some tests with bonding interfaces.

I put 2 interfaces from the first switch in 10Mbps and do the same for the other 2 interfaces for the second switch.

When I make the bandwith test, with balance rr (default), I have 18Mbps aprox wich is good because is bonding the 20Mbps aprox.

But when I change the mode to 802.3ad it only uses one interface, and only 9Mbps aprox for the link.

Why is happening that?

Thanks

rufee

Re: Issue with bonding 802.3ad

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:14 am

As we outlined here http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99799 CRS does not support LACP on the switch chips only on the CPU so you are better off not using it.
As for the speed if there is a single stream of traffic going through the 802.3ad bonded link, like a single file transfer it tends to use only one physical link hence the half of advertised traffic, i might be wrong, but it has mostly been the case with my testing.

mpreissner

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:24 pm

That's exactly right.  If the transfer stream is single-threaded, you won't get more than a single link's bandwidth.  Only multi-threaded data streams will be able to take advantage of the aggregated link.

Try using the Trunk feature in the switch chip menu.  It's not LACP, but rather is Static Link Aggregation, and it runs on the switch chip, not the CPU.  This should allow you to aggregate the interfaces at 1 gbps.  I can't say whether it will work for getting you up to 2 gbps aggregate, because I'm not using the function at all right now, but it seems like it would be a better option than trying to use the weak CPU in the CRS for bonding.

cabo81
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the reply.

What I've understand from your posts is that:

1- CSR doesn't have enough CPU power to make link aggregation for 2 interfaces of 1GB
2- If CSR would have enough CPU power, still would be a problem with the throughtput link to the CPU (backplane? for similar terminology purposes)
3- LACP is not fully yet supported.

Ok the real problem I have is that we have upgraded our internet channel from 800MB to 1GB and our mikrotik (PC software) has 2 interfaces with 1GB. So we want to buy a mikrotik router (CCR class) to receive the upgrade.

However we have a C3200 Casa System CMTS with all interfaces at 1GB (8x1Gb). The CASA system support tell us to make Link aggregation but I have doubts because the exercise we have done with the CSR class only sends traffic from one interface. (balance RR)

I think that with the labs with 10MB I have done, would be enough to probe that is good but we haven't been able to send and receive information on the 2 bonding interfaces.

I hope you understanding me with my english.

Anyone has experience Casa System C3200 with mikrotik with bonding?

Thanks