Community discussions

MikroTik App

karloch
just joined
Topic Author

HTTP and HTTPS not working for a single host

Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:37 am

Hi everyone,

This problem is driving me nuts. Since several weeks, it looks like my Mikrotik has lost the ability to connect to a single website. I searched the forum and I could find people with similar issues, but I have not been able to reach any conclusion. The site is http://www.msx.org; the rest of the Internet websites are working nicely, and even msx.org was working until recently.

First I'll tell my setup:
  • RB951G-2HnD
  • RouterOS 6.34.1
  • Internet connection: PPPoE dial to an ONT (FTTH)
  • NAT: yes, using MASQUERADE rules from my network
  • WebProxy: no
Symptons:
  • Right after the PPPoE connection is established, I can successfully enter the website.
  • After some minutes, it won't work anymore unless I reset the PPPoE interface.
  • It will happen in any computer or device that tries to contact the website. If I try fetching (/tool fetch) an HTML response from the Mikrotik itself, it will fail in the same way.
  • It doesn't matter if I use a web browser or try to telnet directly to the port 80 or 443. It won't be able to establish connection.
  • The rest of the internet sites work perfectly!!!
Tried:
  • Pinging the website: it always works, it looks like it is a problem with just HTTP/HTTPS
  • Changing MTU, MRU and MSS without any effect.
  • Flushing the DNS cache won't have any effect.
  • Sniffing the network will only show me how TCP packets goes outside the router, but never receive an answer. There are a lot of SYN retrasmission until the client gives up.
I would be grateful for any guidance or help solving this.

inteq

Re: HTTP and HTTPS not working for a single host

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:40 am

Maybe that website has some filters?
Maybe it uses something like Fail2Ban and somehow your requests are seen as an attack and are getting blocked?
On the other hand it seems they are using cloudfare. There might be some problem with cloudfare somehow blocking your access or not having the whole cache for that website.
In my limited experience with cloudfare, they are kinda unreliable.

karloch
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Yup, I also think CloudFare is sometimes unreliable, but it doesn't make any sense that just my home connection is only affected. There must be something hindering the HTTP traffic on the Mikrotik, I also experienced some problems when initiating SSTP tunnels from my desktop computer, however unlike the msx.org web, these tunnels are working fine from the Mikrotik.

karloch
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Somehow fixed after upgrading to firmware 6.34.2. It was happening until 6.34.1.