Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:02 am

china telcom doesn't allow muti user to share one adsl line,
what should i do to ros,

valens
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:47 am

Have you try to share?
Try first... and if you technical problem, maybe we can discuss later.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:30 am

i think simple masquerading rule in RouterOS will help your issue. your ISP will never know there are more computers in your network

HarvSki

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:59 am

haha! src-nat :p

Once you have the NAT working make sure you secure your router - and when playing with the firewall always open a terminal seesion and press ctrl-x to put it into safe mode then ctrl-x once you are happy your not going to lock yourself out.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Securing_your_router

fatonk

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:03 pm

Just be aware that some ISPs filter some TTLs, so if the NAT doesn't work try to change TTL.

Regards.

Faton.

ahlai
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 am

isp will search how many mac address in my lan

ahlai
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:00 am

i think simple masquerading rule in RouterOS will help your issue. your ISP will never know there are more computers in your network
if isp is so stupid ,
they have no money to make,
they have a device named NetSniper
the device can know how many computers in your lan ,
it seems that they can search the whole lan
or they use advanced packet filteri technology

GotNet

Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:50 am

While I doubt they can "search" your LAN, there is a documented method of checking the number of users behind a NAT firewall.

http://illuminati.coralcdn.org/docs/bellovin.fnat.pdf

DockLine

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:16 am

I'm stunned that someone from Mikrotik would give advice on how to steal internet service.

I use Mikrotik equipment to operate a small ISP. I certainly would not allow my users to resell off an account. A dsl line is a shared service, and almost anywhere in the world the terms and conditions do not allow resale of this type of service. A legitimate WISP will get a T1 or similar line, intended for resale and intended to support many users on its bandwidth.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:21 am

from reading that article i cant imagine any ISP using the technique to limit or cut off users. The author recognizes its inabilites and flaws and volurnability to decpetion. i.e. run Freebsd or solaris boxes and the method does not work..

Then again i have no experience with communisists :) so u never know what china will/can do.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 am

dockline:

what are you talking about?

MT could answer this guys question, or they could not and the guy could buy a cheap plug and play device for 20$ that does the same thing and in the process think that MT's software is crap since it cant do something a 20$ device can do...

many ppl will argue that there are MANY uses for srcnat ing than just "stealing/sharing" internet.

oh and btw; i would guess somewhere between 50 and 70% of your current users use a Nat device so they are sharing your internet and you dont know it.....do you expect them to pay for two lines of service from you if they have 2 computers in one house?

i just know here in the states, just about EVERY cable or DSL modem i see ANYWHERE, biz or home, is plugged into a router/nat box.

ahlai
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:51 am

as a matter of fact,
isp exactly know how many computers in my lan ,
when i browse a web page,they can redirect it to isp's notice page,
the content is : we detected that you shared your adsl line to others,one adsl can only be used by one computer.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:20 am

you have to learn some networking basis, then using RouterOS you can configure your network that way that none will ever seen anything suspicios.

IMHO your isp is cheating you, OR yo have bad (incomplete) configuration of your router.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:37 am

I'm stunned that someone from Mikrotik would give advice on how to steal internet service.

I use Mikrotik equipment to operate a small ISP. I certainly would not allow my users to resell off an account. A dsl line is a shared service, and almost anywhere in the world the terms and conditions do not allow resale of this type of service. A legitimate WISP will get a T1 or similar line, intended for resale and intended to support many users on its bandwidth.
in my country, bandwidth is so available that ISPs mostly don't care what you do on your network as far as you pay for it. i get optical line to my apartment with 2Mbit guaranteed in all directions for 20$ a month.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:40 am

if isp is so stupid ,
they have no money to make,
they have a device named NetSniper
no way :) you should not believe this nonsense. of course they can't `search your lan` if you have masquerading. that is what it's for

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 am

as a matter of fact,
isp exactly know how many computers in my lan ,
when i browse a web page,they can redirect it to isp's notice page,
the content is : we detected that you shared your adsl line to others,one adsl can only be used by one computer.
yes, because you are not yet using masquerading and change-ttl features. if you will use them - no way they are going to see anything

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:58 am

Well, one COULD imagine methods to at least suspect something.
For example using a transparent proxy on the ISP side and inspecting the User-Agent headers.
You could filter out used browsers and operating systems, and at least if two different OS versions show up in a short period of time, the ISP could suspect that there must be more than one computer using the DSL line...

But I doubt that a normal ISP would go such long ways to identify multiple usage. And as someone wrote above: MOST ISPs only disallow the sharing with other "potential customers", i.e. with neigbors, or operating a HotSpot on it or the like.

Best regards,
Christian Meis

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:00 am

christian, for the sake of argument - one could have dual boot system and multiple browsers on one PC. plus if I have a wireless laptop, why can't I use a router which eliminates need for wires? A router doesn't especially mean that there are multiple PCs in your home.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:12 am

oh, and there is that webbrows, let me remember - ahh, firefox, on whitch you can set al that information like operating system, webbrowser name etc. etc.

and konqueror where all that can be done, and if i remeber correcly, than, you caould even set on what page show what info.

and as normis metioned - why i cannot set up wireless AP and configure some firewall on that machine to protect my inner network. these days you can buy a DVD player with wireless interface with ability to play web radio, you can buy router with harddrive thitch is running torrent client and itunes etc. etc.

but customer will have just one PC and several "consumer electonic appliences" with extended features.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Hey guys - don't get me wrong.

I think sharing a DSL line for "own" use amongst several devices (PC, laptop, wireless media, PDA, whatever) is OK - and that's what is in MOST DSL providers' usage terms.
I just wanted to point out the fact that there MIGHT be (more or less theoretical) ways an ISP could at least get a suspicion that you are using more than one PC behind an DSL router (which was the original thign this topic was about).

But let's stop here ;) ...

Best regards,
Christian Meis