Community discussions

MikroTik App

JanTore
just joined
Topic Author

USB cash drawers

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 am

Hello fellow MikroTik users, this is my first post in this forum. I hope there is some creative members out there!
I`m taking my second course in march to get my MTCWE, so I`m not a routerboard expert yet =)

I`m working in Hoopla with field installation in conserts and festivals to setup network and cash registers.
In Norway we have this new cash register law that demands that each till have a integrated cash drawer. There are a few drawers with bluetooth and/or ethernet/wlan, but they are a bit expensive.
The old school cash drawers is connected to the tills printer, so it will open every time the printer revieces a job. This is no longer good enough, because we need to be able to get open/locked status from the drawer.

There are a lots of USB cash drawers, I have bought one demo that I will try to get to work with a routerboard router with USB port... I have hooked it up and routerboard is recognasing the usb device.
Any suggestions out there for how I shall go forth to be able to talk to the cash drawer through the router?
Here is a link to the help page for the drawer I have bought with code exemples and drivers for other OS: http://cash-drawers.com/index.php/technical/

Thank you guys!

JanTore
just joined
Topic Author

Re: USB cash drawers

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:58 pm

And of course.. I will pay for help to get this too happen =)

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Difficult to say if this is doable without inspecting the drawer.

If it can be setup to be recognized as a serial device, there could a possibility, but hard to say.

JanTore
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:22 pm

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:14 pm

I'll look into this.
My sister is VP of customer service for M-S Cash Drawer.
I'll see if she can get me the details and maybe a sample.

What model drawer is it?

JanTore
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:47 pm

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:57 am

Sister confirmed that it's one of her's sold in Ireland. She will get me the engineering specs on Monday.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Even being an USB device, it can identify itself as several kind of devices, or even multiple ones.

You can think on USB as the "transit" interface, but then the connected device can identify itself as a serial device, modem, network device, mass storage... you get the idea.
Sister confirmed that it's one of her's sold in Ireland. She will get me the engineering specs on Monday.
Wow that's luck! :)

JanTore: In the meanwhile, you can identify how your specific sample identifies itself:

On Windows: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

On linux, you can use lsusb, part of the usbutils package. (use -v)

On Mac, there's a great utility, USB Prober.

JanTore
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Can`t wait =)

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Okay, I spoke with my sister, and she was also to get my the engineering documents.
Unfortunately, the drawer's interface used the Microsoft HID (Human interface device) interface. That means that the drawer receives commands, and sends back status to the system, instead of a simple Serial interface. While you could use this drawer with a full Linux system, RouterOS does not provide an HID programming interface.

At this time, you may want to send the drawer back and see if you can order a unit with a standard Serial or USB Serial interface.

JanTore
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am

Ah, oki :/

Tnx anyways!