Community discussions

MikroTik App

H2009
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Leaseline (Fibre Ethernet)

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi all, I'm going to be taking out a Fibre Lease line for my business 500Mb on a 1 GB carrier, and the ISP is looking at providing a Cisco 1921 router.
Personally I have no experience with Cisco equipment and would much rather stay away from it, however what would you recommend in RB hardware to replace it and still have the full function of what is possible.

Thank you

dgnevans

Re: Leaseline (Fibre Ethernet)

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Rb 1100ahx2
Ccr1009 8g-1s-1s+

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 pm

It depends on how your provider delivers the fibre, i.e. do they include some network termination box that
converts it to gigabit ethernet, or do they deliver fiber maybe with a SFP module and you need a router that does SFP.
In that case you cannot use the RB1000 but the CCR1009 is still a fine choice.
(there are some different submodels for passive or active cooling, see the website)

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi all, I'm going to be taking out a Fibre Lease line for my business 500Mb on a 1 GB carrier, and the ISP is looking at providing a Cisco 1921 router.
Personally I have no experience with Cisco equipment and would much rather stay away from it, however what would you recommend in RB hardware to replace it and still have the full function of what is possible.

Thank you
It may be worth checking:
- Is the hand-off to you from your ISP an Ethernet cable from a Cisco 1921 ?

Some ISPs want only their devices or devices they manage connected to their network and only hand-off an Ethernet cable to the customer. This helps customer mis-configurations & bad customer configurations from harming the ISP WAN/LAN customer hand-off network which may also have other customers connected.

On all of my customer hand-off networks, I only hand-off Ethernet (non-tagged).

H2009
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your replies.

It seems it's my option to take the Cisco router or not however they cannot monitor the line without it. If I take it the Cisco router will output Ethernet connection.

If I don't take it they will provide SPF to the property, for my own hardware. Vlans and IP address settings as normal from there.

What do you guys think? Shall I just get the Cisco then go RB after that?

Thank you

dgnevans

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:45 pm

If the cisco 1921 is just handling forwarding of traffic it may well be able to perform at 500 mbps and possibly faster, but the start adding any access-listsm, nat, qos or other services the speed will drop off quicky. A couple of years ago I worked out hat the most I could expect to get NAT+ACL+Tunnel was around 117 mbps. in real life that was around 64 mbps. For this reason I moved away from them over to the Mikrotik ccr 1009 and have not looked back.

troffasky

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:04 pm

It seems it's my option to take the Cisco router or not however they cannot monitor the line without it.
What do you guys think?
Do you want them to monitor the line?
If you want them to monitor it, is the cost of having their router worth it to you?