Community discussions

MikroTik App

rhayes
just joined
Topic Author

Proxy arp by mesh gateways causes problem with hotspot bindi

Mon May 28, 2007 4:46 am

We're using a wireless mesh network (tropos) whose gateways proxy arp for their clients. Therefore, the hotspot binds the gateway's mac address with the client's IP address. So far, so good - all the clients behind a given gateway show the same mac address, but that's not a problem.

The problem occurs when a client roams to another gateway. Since the mikrotik hotspot sees a bound IP address with a new mac address (i.e. that of the new gateway), it drops the packet.

Is there anyway around this? Can you tell the hotspot to drop the old binding and create a new one if there's a conflict?

Any help appreciated.

rgenovesi
just joined

Re: Proxy arp by mesh gateways causes problem with hotspot bindi

Tue May 29, 2007 12:53 am

I've encountered the same problem - also using Tropos mesh APs. If anyone has an idea on this I sure would like to hear it.

-rob

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:07 am

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this problem? I'm running into the same issue.

Thanks

rgenovesi
just joined

Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:53 am

The solution we came up with was to introduce a layer 3 hop between the Mikrotik and the mesh network. This means the only mac address to show up on the Mikrotik is that of the directly attached router.

-rob