Community discussions

MikroTik App

jlxl
just joined
Topic Author

Evaluate Firewall Rule

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:11 pm

I was trying to drop most of my inbound traffic except for remote admin connections and came across a method that worked, but I wondered if it was inefficient or prone to flaws:

Mangle:
;;;SSH From Admin MAC Address
chain=prerouting protocol=tcp dst-port=22 src-mac-address=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=ADMIN_MAC passthrough=yes

Filter:
chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=22 connection-mark=ADMIN_MAC action=accept

I planned on adding one filter rule to check for my connection mark and then adding subsequent mangles as needed for admin MAC addresses. Is there a better way to do this?

I am new to Mikrotik products and networking in general so please feel free to criticize any mistakes in my thinking.

Thanks,

msorensen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Evaluate Firewall Rule

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:17 am

I prefer to do in in the "Input" firewall chain.

General Methodology is to only allow certain specific protocols/ports from certain specified IP ranges "allowed" in the INPUT chain of the router. Everything else is dropped via a final "drop everything" FW rule.

Input Chain Example Example:
add chain=input connection-state=invalid action=drop comment="Drop Invalid" disabled=no
add chain=input connection-state=established action=accept comment="Allow Established Connections" disabled=no
add chain=input connection-state=related action=accept comment="Allow Related Connections" disabled=no
add chain=input src-address=x.x.x.0/24 protocol=udp dst-port=53 action=accept comment="Accept DNS from local network" disabled=no
add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=80 src-address-list=C&C action=accept comment="Allow access from C&C List" disabled=no
add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=8291 src-address-list=C&C action=accept comment="" disabled=no
add chain=input protocol=udp dst-port=161 src-address-list=C&C action=accept comment="" disabled=no
add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=2000 src-address-list=C&C action=accept comment="Bandwidth Test" disabled=no
add chain=input protocol=icmp limit=50,2 action=accept comment="Allow Limited Pings" disabled=no
add chain=input src-address-type=broadcast action=accept comment="Accept Broadcast Traffic " disabled=no
add chain=input action=drop comment="Drop everything else" disabled=no

In my case the the (comand & control) C&C list is a short list of IP subnets and IP addresses from which access to the router is allowed... this makes it easier to add/change/delete IP's and subnets from the access list.

See also:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Securing_your_router