Community discussions

MikroTik App

robtor
Topic Author

wifi-qcom-ac Package for 802.11r Fast Transition

Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm

I've recently stumbled upon a forum entry where sb. stated, that the wifi-qcom-ac package has to be installed on the CAPsMAN device for Fast-Transition to work.
Can maybe somebody from Mikrotik comment on this?

I'm currently running a setup with an RB3011-UiAS-RM as the CAPsMAN and using several cAP-ac's and had many issues because the device's roaming messages did not pop up in the system logs. Now they sometimes do, but I had changed some other things and settings in combination with installing the wifi-qcom-ac package on the RB3011-UiAS-RM and thus could not exactly reproduce if I fixed the roaming by installing this package.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything in the documentation about this.

This post is not in the means to clearify why my roaming setup didn't work, I just want to know whether the wifi-qcom-ac package is necessary on the Manager's side.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wifi-qcom-ac Package for 802.11r Fast Transition  [SOLVED]

Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:07 pm

For FT to work, CAP devices have to run wifi-qcom (or wifi-qcom-ac) driver. Which means ROS 7.13+ and ARM architecture.

As to CAPsMAN device: it has to run ROS 7.13+ as well. But it doesn't have to run wifi-qcom (or wifi-qcom-ac) as these are "only" wireless chipset drivers. Core functionality (which includes capsman) is now part of routeros package and should thus be available on all architectures.

robtor
Topic Author

Re: wifi-qcom-ac Package for 802.11r Fast Transition

Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:56 pm

Okay that clarifies my question. Then my first assumption was right and the package contains only the drivers.
Then I must had changed something else in my setup that fixed the roaming problem. Thank you